|Monday Nov 04, 2013 9:00 AM - Monday Nov 04, 2013 5:30 PM | $65.00 - $94.00
Farm Profitability: Season Extension and Marketing for the Small Farm
SEMINAR OUTLINESession 1 - Farm overview, soil, fertility, disease, economics
Session 2 - Farm Systems for Field Production, Tunnel structure introduction
- Soils, markets, &; finances at Kilpatrick Family Farm.
- Goals of year-round farming: ;Extend seasonal farmers markets, store crops for CSA, deep winter production, Learn benefits of starting small and discern whether year-round farming is for you.
- Soil health: organic matter, compost, rotation, &; soil types.
- Cover crops for nitrogen release and fertility management.
- Pest and disease challenges for season extension: how we spray, what sprays we use, and physical barriers for pest control.
- Winter growing economics: crop budgets, infrastructure depreciation, &; payback from different tunnels.
Session 3 - Greens for Tunnels and Season Extension.
- Equipment for tillage, bedding, stale-bedding, and cultivation.
- Different bed systems: plasticulture, bare ground, and bedded systems.
- Color plastic mulches vs. biotello &; managing row space between: bare ground, living &; dead mulches.
- Crop considerations for washing, packing and storage: Roots, alliums, brassicas, and specialty crops.
- Tunnels: mini-tunnels, hoophouses, propagation houses, high and haygrove tunnels, &; greenhouses.
- Finishing options for tunnels: venting, water, glazing and bench options.
Session 4 - Marketing the Farm
- Basic propagation techniques &; intercropping for higher production.
- Seeders, spacing, and techniques for maximum production.
- Overwinter crops for super early spring harvest: Bedding, seeding, and different protection techniques.
- Varieties, cultural practices, seeding densities, transplant strategies, diseases, &; harvest techniques.
LunchWe will share potluck lunch from 12:30 to 1:30pm. Please bring a dish with organic ingredients. We'll have volunteers to help arrange dishes. Please participate in clean-up.More on Michael Kilpatrickwww.michael-kilpatrick.comFor more info, contact Ben Grosscup at 413-658-5374 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The "why" of any marketing message; Simon Sinak's revolutionary idea, the Golden Circle; trust.
- Case study: why our farm exists and the story of its beginnings.; Share your own "why" and learn to effectively communicate your story.
- Two facets of successful marketing: developing a great product &; building relationships.
- How to learn more about the consumer.
- Examples of branding from our farm and other businesses, including websites, newsletters, recipe cards, and invoices.
- Role of social media in marketing
- How different marketing channels can increase farm profits.
Barre Congregational Church (View)
30 Park Street
Barre, MA 01005