Adults Only - FOCIS - Focus on Children in Separation
Kansas City, MO
THIS CLASS IS FOR ADULTS ONLY. IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN BETWEEN THE AGES OF 5 and 17 THAT ARE REQUIRED TO ATTEND WITH YOU, PLEASE CHOOSE A FOCIS CLASS THAT IS NOT AN ADULTS ONLY CLASS.
This FOCIS class is a 3 hour course for parents who are involved in a dissolution proceeding and have children outside of the ages of 5-17 years old. This course is designed to teach parents and children positive ways to cope with the changes divorce brings to a family.
To help parents build competencies designed to empower them to resolve conflict constructively in order to expedite the court process and to minimize the need for future court intervention.
ACCESS TO SERVICE:
Pursuant to Local Rule 68.13, parents and children ages 5-17 involved in ANY Dissolution with Children are required to attend FOCIS. The cost is $47 per parent plus service charge. Children are free. You must register at least 48 hours prior to the class. Pre-enrollment is required. Upon completion, Family Court Resource Services forwards an attendance certificate to the Court for filing.
Frequently Asked Questions for Parent Awareness Courses
1. How long is the Adults Only FOCIS class?
Answer: The Adults Only FOCIS class is a 3 hour course.
2. I didn't register online in time, can I pay at the door and show up to class and register then?
Answer: NO. FCRS will not accept any money or register any participants at the door. If you have not pre-registered, you will be directed to do so online for a later class. If you are unable to register or pay online, please call
(816) 881-1814 for assistance.
3. I do not have a credit/debit card to register online. What can I do?
Answer: You may purchase a debit card at several other outlets with cash. If you don't have a credit/debit card and/or are unable to obtain one, please contact our office at 816-881-1814 to discuss alternative options.
4. The filing fees have been waived in my case as the court has determined I am indigent. Is my fee for FOCIS attendance waived also?
Answer: Contact FCRS to get more information at
(816) 881-1814 so we can check to see if your fees should be waived or reduced.
5. There are no classes available before my court date. What do I do?
Answer: Classes are offered 5 times monthly. And parties are given 45 days after service of process to attend classes so there shouldn't be any difficulties in getting into classes if registration is completed soon after service.
If your case is contested (there are issues in dispute) you should have your class completed by the Case Management Conference.
If your case is uncontested (there are no issues in dispute) then you should have your class completed by the date of the uncontested hearing.
If classes are full and you cannot get into a class prior to these dates, you should discuss the matter with your attorney; otherwise you may register for the next available class then show the court your confirmation letter.
6. What if I attend class but my husband fails to do so?
Answer: The court determines what action if any will be taken if a party fails to comply with the requirement but Local Rule 68.12 provides that the court may award attorney's fees and/or costs or impose any other appropriate sanctions provided by law.
7. I registered for a class but an emergency came up and I was unable to attend. Can I get a refund?
Answer: NO. All sales for class registration are final; you may select another date to make up the class you missed but no refunds will be given under any circumstances including cancellations due to inclement weather or for any other reason.
8. I have a language barrier and need an interpreter for the class. How do I arrange this?
Answer: Contact FCRS at 881-1814 to arrange interpreter services. They will get your class registration information and make sure an interpreter is available for you.
9. I have tried to register online with my cell phone, but my registration doesn't seem to be going through. What should I do?
Answer: It is recommended that you use a desktop computer to register. Using cellular phones is not recommended.
Rockhurst University Community Center (View)
Kansas City, MO 64110
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|