Kayem - "The Long Way Home" with Frank Waln
"The Long Way Home" is an intimate, vulnerable story-telling concert that navigates the concept of "home". Kayem revisits some of the most moving moments while his esteemed band plays the score, woven in between original songs.
Kayem is back performing after a 4 year hiatus due to government restrictions that included being put on the No-Fly List and facing perpetual FBI surveillance and detainments. He's set to release new music publicly for the first time since his ordeal Summer 2019.
Come see why Yahoo called his SXSW showcase "One of the Six Best Things We Saw at SXSW"!
Promo Video Cinematographer and Editor: :
This is Kayem: soundcloud.com/thisiskayem
With Special Guests...
- Frank Waln : frankwaln.com
Frank Waln is an award winning Lakota Hip Hop artist from the Rosebud Reservation in South Dakota. As a Gates Millennium Scholar, he received a BA in Audio Arts and Acoustics from Columbia College Chicago and he has been featured on ESPN, The Fader and MTV. Frank Waln now travels the world sharing his story through performances and workshops that inspire, educate and empower through music.
Kayem's band is comprised of an all-star team of acclaimed musicians, many of whom headline their own shows arounf the world:
- Ronnie Malley (Oud/Guitar): A Chicago native of Palestinian descent, Ronnie is a multi-instrumentalist. He has studied and collaborated with musicians from 6 continents. Ronnie currently teaches at Old Town School of Folk Music, hosts workshops and residencies, composes music for film and TV, all while touring the globe with his own groups.
- Daryn Alexus (Vocals): A childhood of of singing in church choir and school musicals prepared Daryn Alexus to attend a performing arts school in her native, Washington, DC. She later moved to Chicago to attend the prestigious music institution Columbia College. Her powerful vocals and sharp writing skills helped create well received songs like "Say" and "I Ain't Got It".
- Amir Tubad Gray (Tuba/Trumpet): A Child of James Brown, Beethoven, & J Dilla. Classically trained artist Tubad was raised near Chicago but changed by New Orleans. Tubad has influences from Jazz, RnB, Hip-Hop, and Soul.
Joshua Coleman (Keys): "ICE" was born and raised in Chicago, Il. He has shared the stage with Wyclef Jean, Currency, and Sandy Redd. He currently also serves as Kayem's Music Director.
- Phil Coleman Jr. (Drums): Phil got his start playing drums in his family church at the age of 6. His passion and drive are on full display when he hits the stage. Phil is a husband, father, songwriter, producer, and drummer.
- Greg Nergaard (Bass): Greg is an accomplished bassist and native of Chicago. He has toured the world while anchoring several bands including The Right Now and Surabhi Ensemble.
2001 14th St NW
WASHINGTON, DC 20001
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|