Bamboo: Vietnamese & Intercultural Fusions
The first large-scale concert of the Vancouver Inter-Cultural Orchestra's 2016/17 season will feature the 15-member VICO with virtuoso solo performers on Vietnamese traditional instruments: Bic Hoang (Vietnamese dan bau - one string zither monochord) and Van-Anh Vo (Vietnamese dan tranh a 16-string zither, and dan trung - a bamboo xylophone).
The repertoire will include:
- The Canadian premiere of a work by Vietnamese composer Tran Manh Hung for traditional chamber quintet (erhu, dan tranh, flute, zuan and percussion);
- The Canadian premiere of "Scent of Spring" by Khac Chi featuring Charlie Lui (dizi);
- The Canadian premiere of a work by Vietnamese/ American composer and performer Van-Anh Vo for dan tranh and intercultural chamber orchestra
- A new work, "The River of Memories" ,for dan bau and intercultural chamber orchestra by Bic Hoang;
- A new compilation of intercultural folk song arrangements for the VICO by Mark Armanini;
- A piece by emerging composer Jessica Hua, developed through the VICO's Sounds Global Composers' Workshop program; and
- Selected Vietnamese traditional and folk songs.
Also featured: The Bành Mì Barbershop Quartet (Jeremy Truong, Trieu Mai, Dan Nguyen, Thai-Hoa Le).
The Orpheum Annex (View)
823 Seymour Street, 2nd floor
Vancouver, BC V6B 0G4
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|