Don Baker, MA, LMHC and Gina Pera, author of Is It You, Me, or Adult ADD: ADHD Relationships Workshop
Singles! Couples! Soon to be Coupled! Want to be Coupled!
The ADHD-related issues that affect individuals affect couples, too, and the success strategies are mostly the same. (SEE THE AGENDA BELOW)
Don't miss this chance to learn in-depth information about Adult ADHD -- skills, strategies, neurobiology -- and connect with the local ADHD community.
ADHD and Relationships
A full day workshop for the coupled and uncoupled, co-facilitated by Don Baker and Gina Pera
Don Baker, MA, LMHC, Seattle area ADHD specialist and creator of Life Strategies: Groups for Adults Living with ADHD
Gina Pera, author of the bestselling Is It You, Me, or Adult ADD?
Where: Mercer Island Community Center
When: Sunday, September 12, 11 AM-7 PM
$70 in advance and $80 Day of Workshop
Workshop Schedule at a Glance
10:45 – 11:15 - Registration and Welcome
Snacks/ Coffee/ Decaf/ Tea/ Water available
11:30-12:30 - Gina Pera
12:30-1:30 - Lunch Break
1:30-2:30 - Don Baker
2:30-2:45 - Break
2:45-4 - Interest Group Breakout
4-4:15 - Break
4:15-5:45 - Full Group Interactive Discussion
5:45-6:00 - Break
6:00-6:45 - Q and A
6:45-7:00 – Summary/Close of the Workshop
Questions(lunch, handouts, things to bring)?—See the FAQs after the full agenda
Full Workshop Agenda (The plan is subject to change.)
11:00 - Doors open (Please be prompt, we want you to gain full benefit of the workshop.)
11:15-11:30 – Welcome – Don and Gina
11:30 - 12:30 – Gina Pera, author, Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?
• An illustrated history of the personal ADHD journey made by Gina and her husband, with lessons learned along the way.
• Distinguishing between ADHD core symptoms vs. the poor coping strategies common to late-diagnosis adults (so-called "emotional baggage") and to their partners, too.
• Understanding ADHD through the lens of "Executive Functions" such as time management, self-monitoring, sustaining motivation, etc.
• Recognizing the "triple whammy" that affects both partners in a relationships where one or both has ADHD
• Understanding the five factors that determine the impact of an individual's or couple's challenges around ADHD
• Learning how each partner can adopt a six-point success strategy for change:
1. Maximizing education
2. Optimizing medication (if that is a chosen strategy)
3. Adjusting attitudes; developing empathy
4. Learning new skills, practicing new habits
5. Remembering to have some fun!
6. Being a detective in your lives so you can develop practical solutions to your most challenging obstacles
12:30 – 1:30 – Lunch break
1:30-2:30 – Don Baker, creator of Life Strategies: Groups for Adults Living with ADHD
• Learning about the developmental process of a relationship and why it's important
Understanding how ADHD adds that "certain something," that special complexity to this process. And why this is essential to understand.
• Identifying the strategies you need to create the change(s) you want
• Measuring and feeling success
• Staying on the wagon: How will you sustain change? (This is often what's MOST difficult)
2:30 - 2:45 - Break
2:45-3:45 - Breakout Groups
1. Partners of Adults with ADHD discussion – Gina
2. Relationship Skill building (Open to anyone)— Don
"They had lived together for so many years that they mistook
their arguments for conversation…"
Majorie Kellogg in Crucial Conversations
How to make it safe to talk about almost anything…or, almost anything.
4:00 – 4:15 - Break
4:30 – 5:45 - LIGHTNING ROUNDS! Don and Gina
Don and Gina lay the groundwork for brain storming with the group around common ADHD "hot spots." Hearing that others share what you might have thought were your own particular "quirks" can be therapeutic; learning how others have conquered these challenges is even better!
5:45 – 6:00 – Break
6:00 – 6:45 – Q and A to clarify lingering questions
6:45-7:00 – Wrap up and session summary
Q: What about lunch? Can I buy something at the workshop?
A: No, lunch won't be provided. Snacks will be provided throughout the day. The Downtown Mercer Island Business Center is less than 2 miles away if you'd like to go and grab something there. Or, you can bring your lunch and stay onsite or walk across the street to Luther Burbank Park for a picnic on the water.
Q: How can I be sure to get updates?
A: After you register, send Don an email. His address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: Will there be handouts?
A: We're trying to be a green as possible, so we'll distribute links for handouts by email before Sunday. We'll have information at the workshop on how to download copies of the presentations.
Q: What should I bring?
A: Yourself and any tools you might use at a workshop: pen, paper, journal, laptop, iPad. Technology is NOT required. Wifi is free onsite.
Q: This is an ADHD Workshop, do I need to be on-time?
A: Yes. Please.
Mercer Island Community Center
8236 SE 24th Street
Mercer Island, WA 98040
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: No|