Savannah Rocks! "50 Years Ago Today: A Beatles Celebration"
**** DUE TO OVERWHELMING SUPPORT FOR OUR EVENT, THIS SHOW IS COMPLETELY SOLD OUT AND ALL TICKET SALES HAVE NOW ENDED.
THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR INTEREST IN SAVANNAH ROCKS!, AND PLEASE KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR FUTURE LIVE CONCERT EVENTS WE'LL BE PRESENTING LATER IN 2014. :)
For one night only, six beloved bands from the greater Savannah, Ga. area will pay tribute to the lasting impact of the Beatles' legendary 1964 U.S. television debut on the Ed Sullivan Show.
Presented by the non-profit Savannah Rocks! organization, the goal of this special concert event is threefold: to bring together five generations of local musicians on the same bill (most of whom have never shared the stage before); to expose local audiences to a diverse range of talented performers they may not have otherwise known existed; and to raise funds to support Savannah Rocks!, which is devoted to documenting the history and promoting the future of our city's rock and roll music scene.
The show runs from 7PM until 11:30PM in the Grand Ballroom of American Legion Post #135 (1108 Bull Street) on the southern end of Forsyth Park.
Hosted by MCs Skip Jennings and Jim Reed, the show features the following locally-based acts (final running order TBD), all of whom will play a combination of their own material as well as unique interpretations of their favorite Beatles tunes:
1. THE VERAFLAMES - Longtime area favorites which formed in the 1970s and recently returned to the public stage after an extended hiatus. Known for their expert musicianship and tight vocal harmonies, they play classic rock and soul with an emphasis on the British Invasion era, and are fondly remembered as the unofficial "house band" of the iconic River Street live music venue of the '70s and '80s, THE NIGHT FLIGHT CAFE.
2. CUSSES - One of the most promising original modern rock bands to ever call Savannah home, this female-fronted trio of electric guitar, drums and vocals will soon release their second independent album. They've received rave reviews from major music magazines and websites for their intense, charismatic stage show, and earned a devoted international fanbase that continues to grow by the day.
3. THE BILL AVILA ALL-STARS - Drawn from the ranks of a number of popular local rock and roll bands of the '60s and '70s, this newly-formed amalgam of players will feature names and faces familiar to those who attended parties, dances and "Battles of the Bands" back in the day. It allows for many important early Savannah acts which have long been defunct to still be represented onstage for this event, through the appearance of key members in this group. The new band's name is a heartfelt salute to Mr. Bill Avila, a local promoter and tireless champion of rock and roll in its infancy.
4. VOODOO SOUP with Special Guest JACK SHERMAN - This impressive, versatile power trio of guitar, bass and drums specializes in high-energy rock, soul and R&B with a funky, improvisatory edge. Joining them will be internationally known lead guitarist Jack Sherman, who, in addition to touring and recording with BOB DYLAN, JOHN HIATT, SOLOMON BURKE and others, was a key member of the RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS and appears on their debut and "Best Of" albums.
5. THE ROGUES - A perennially popular party and "show" band led by bassist Ronnie Lusk, The Rogues have been active for several decades and can often be found entertaining crowds at private engagements and outdoor festivals throughout the Coastal Empire and Low Country. They play material from a wide variety of genres, including Beach Music, Motown, Golden Oldies and other songs one can shag to.
6. GAM - Perhaps Savannah's most important original band of the past two decades, this mysterious "Freak-Rock" combo released two CDs and toured the U.S. extensively to great critical and audience acclaim before retiring from the road. Their infrequent live appearances are now highly anticipated and the stuff of local legend. Known for complex arrangements, theatrical stage presentations and bizarre subject matter, GAM's inimitable sound blends classic rock, punk, metal, glam and psychedelica into a compelling, cohesive whole.
There is also a rumor that ED SULLIVAN himself may make an appearance as well...
FULL ***CASH ONLY*** BAR ONSITE WITH VERY LOW PRICES!
It is highly probable that this show may sell out, so we recommend you purchase your ticket(s) in advance to avoid disappointment.
IMPORTANT: NO PRINTED TICKETS WILL BE MAILED TO YOU.
ALL TICKETS CHARGED IN ADVANCE ONLINE WILL BE HELD UNDER YOUR NAME AT THE DOOR. YOU MUST PRESENT POSITIVE PHOTO ID *WHICH MATCHES THE NAME ON YOUR ORDER* FOR US TO RELEASE YOUR TICKETS. THIS IS FOR YOUR SECURITY AND TO AVOID FRAUD.
Thanks for your understanding, and for supporting Savannah Rocks!
See you at the show, and bring some friends. This is destined to be one of the most unique local concert events of the year...
American Legion #135 Ballroom (View)
1108 Bull Street
Savannah, GA 31401
|Minimum Age: 21|
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|