6heads workshop: accelerating climate action towards net zero
We find ourselves in unprecedented times, with news about health and the economy eclipsing headlines across the world. As we look at how to move forward and respond to Covid 19, we are also looking at how to continue the conversation about climate. We understand that many organisations and individuals are fighting to stay afloat amid these challenging times and are having to make large adjustments to the way that they work.
In the midst of this crisis we are seeing communities come together, businesses reimagine their future, leaders calling on governments to follow regenerative principles for recovery, individuals saying they dont want to return to how things were before and an explosion of campaigns such as #BuildBackBetter and #RacetoZero
How can we harness the circumstances we find ourselves in to mobilise people to take climate action?
At the beginning of the UK lockdown, 6heads came together as a community to explore how we wanted to stay connected and work towards positive action. While this is constantly emerging and evolving; the resounding common themes were for us to keep:
- Holding a space for connection, conversation, creativity and community
- Sharing positive stories to inspire and spark action
- Continue a joint inquiry into personal and collective resilience and sensemaking
- Learn from businesses leading the way for regeneration, sustainability and climate action
6heads have teamed up with the Business Declares network to design a workshop that will explore how climate plans can be made and adapted in this new context, and will equip participants with tools and knowledge to sensitively approach conversations about the climate in order to create meaningful impact for their organisations, clients and networks.
The workshop will cover
- Why the time to declare a climate emergency is now
- How to communicate climate issues in these unprecedented times
- How an organisation declares a climate emergency and takes action, including
- Case studies from organisations that have done it
- Examples of effective climate action in the time of COVID-19
- A presentation from Ben Tolhurst about his work as a climate champion at JLL
- A step-by-step guide on how to declare
Break out discussions to connect with other people and organisations
An exploration into the different mindsets needed to influence change and create positive action using Edward de Bonos 6 hat thinking (also 6heads name sake!)
- Commitment to an ongoing action to take forward in your sphere of influence to accelerate climate action.
Who can attend:
The workshop is open to all change makers looking at how they can be more effective in accelerating action on the climate emergency, either in their organisation, with clients or through networks.
Please note this workshop is not a debate on whether there is a climate emergency; instead we will focus on climate action in the time of Covid, case studies and practical action.
If you want to read up on science before we recommend these resources (http://businessdeclares.com/resources/) for more information on the climate and ecological emergency and this IPCC report (https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/) for the climate science.
6heads is a community of curious and committed change makers dedicated to bringing sustainability and innovation to life.
Business Declares is a group of business leaders, who want to accelerate action on the climate emergency and are working on a voluntary basis.