Zsolt Eder & Friends
There is hardly anything better than baroque strings performing in the wonderful setting of Grace Cathedral, except possibly offering a champagne reception with them!
Zsolt Eder & Friends return to Grace Cathedral on Sunday, February 9 at 3 p.m. for a GREAT SPACES concert featuring a tribute to the Italian and French Baroque music of Corelli, Couperin, Vivaldi and Monteverdi. Tickets are just $10 general admission and $5 students and are available online with a credit card at www.GreatSpaces.org or at the door (cash/check only).
After the experimental and volatile early baroque, Corelli's music brought a sense of balance and perfection that proved greatly influential to subsequent generations. Couperin was the first composer to bring Corelli's music to France, and paid tribute to his master through a special piece: a trio sonata depicting a conceptual journey of Corelli entering the heavens and being placed near Apollo. Our Vivaldi selections feature cellist Eman Chalshotori, and we end with an improvisation on a Monteverdi Ciacona.
Zsolt Eder and Friends
Zsolt Eder, violin
Kenya Patzer, violin
Gloria Britez Scolari, viola
Eman Chalshotori, cello
Jacob Hofeling, harpsichord
Arcangelo Corelli: Trio Sonata in D major, Op. 4 Nr. 4
i. Preludio. Grave
ii. Corrente. Allegro
iv. Giga. Allegro
Antonio Vivaldi: Filiae Maestae Jerusalem, RV 638
Francois Couperin: Le Parnasse, ou l'apothéose de Corelli - Grande Sonade en Trio
1. Corelli, at the foot of Mt. Parnassus, asks the Muses to receive him among them
2. Corelli, delighted with the reception he received at the Parnassus, expresses his joy! He continues with those who accompany him
3. Corelli, drinking at the source of Hippocrene. The group moves on.
4. Corelli's enthusiasm caused by the waters of Hippocrene.
5. Corelli after his enthusiasm, falls asleep, and his group plays music to accompany his sweet sleep.
6. The Muses wake up Corelli and place him near Apollo
7. Thanking Corelli.
Antonio Vivaldi: Nisi Dominus, RV 608
iv. Cum dederit
Antonio Vivaldi: Cello Concerto in C minor, RV 401
i. Allegro non molto
iii. Allegro ma non molto
Improvisation on Claudio Monteverdi: Zefiro torna e di soavi accenti, SV 251
Grace Cathedral (View)
701 SW 8th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66603
|Minimum Age: 5|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|