Saturday morning 9:00am-Noon March 7, 2015|
Our seventh class in the series will introduce you to the myriad insects that inhabit our gardens. Did you know that less than 1% of the insect species in the world are the so-called bad bugs that eat us, our livestock, and/or our food? The other 99% are necessary to keeping a healthy environment in our gardens. They help pollinate our crops, eat the bad bugs, and help keep our gardens healthy in many ways.
Dave Pehling, Pest Management Specialist with the WSU Snohomish County Extension and a local beekeeper, will show you how to know the good from the bad and how to encourage those ever-important pollinators and other beneficial insects to our gardens.
Diane Decker-Ihle, Master Gardener and Growing Groceries Instructor, will focus on cultural and physical techniques to prevent disease and pests from damaging our garden crops.
The WSU Snohomish County Extension Growing Groceries Education Series brings together beginning and experienced gardeners with speakers and topics focused on growing healthy food using sustainable gardening practices.
No matter if you only have a tiny apartment deck, small garden space, or plenty of acreage you can grow fresh, healthy food in a healthier, more environmentally friendly way.
Developed over the last five years, the program's goal is to increase local access to fresh, healthy food by teaching the latest research-based techniques for growing food.
For more information about all the classes in the series or register by mail, visit our website snohomish.wsu.edu/garden/growing-groceries.
Cost is $25 per person per class, any five classes for $100, or take all ten for $175.
2014-2015 class dates and times:
October 22, November 19, January 21, February 4 & 18
February 28, March 7, 14, 21 & 28
Topics include: Soil Management and Fertility, Garden Planning, Extending our growing seasons, Seeds and Transplants, What to Grow, Small fruits and Berries, Weed Control, Irrigation techniques, Gardening in Small Spaces, Identifying and attracting Beneficial Insects, Identifying common Pest Problems and managing them using organic methods, Food Safety Concerns, Harvesting.
WSU Extension programs and employment are available to all without discrimination. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local Extension office. Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities and special needs; contact WSU Extension at 425-338-2400 at least two weeks prior to the event.
|Saturday Mar 07, 2015 9:00 AM - Saturday Mar 07, 2015 12:00 PM | $25.00
WSU Snohomish County Extension Cougar Auditorium (View)
600 128th St SE
Everett, WA 98208
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|