The Hamilton Feminist Zine Fair celebrates and creates spaces for marginalized groups to have discussions about feminism through do-it-yourself publishing.|
We're aiming to create an accessible event that gives a platform to those often under-represented in zine culture.
The primary items at tables should be zines. Books, crafts, art, etc. should be kept to a minimum.
Half a table is $10. Free tables are available!
****Contact firstname.lastname@example.org either if you would like a free table OR if you cannot pay the tabling fee online through Brown Paper Tickets.****
What's a Zine?
A zine is a self-published book, magazine, or comic. Anyone can make a zine - using low-cost methods like collage and photocopying - to create a space for their words, ideas, images, and more. Not having to rely on traditional publishing allows for non-mainstream voices to be heard!
Find out more about zines and zine making here:
Rookie - How to Make a Zine
OCAD's Zine Library
Brila Youth Projects - What's a Zine?
Barnard Zine Library - Zines
What do we mean by feminism?
Feminism can mean lots of different things to different people. For us it includes:
- creating an equitable world for all
- questioning the ways that we were taught to 'man up' or 'act like a lady'
- intersectionality acknowledging that folks have lots of different identities and things going on in their lives that make them who they are.
- resisting all forms of oppression - like sexism, poverty, racism, ableism, colonialism, transphobia, heterosexism, sizeism, and lots of other oppressions!
- demanding safety at home, work, school and play
supporting survivors of violence
- seeing the systemic root causes of injustice
More reading about Feminism:
Jarrah Hodge's Feminism FAQ Video
'Feminism is For Everybody' by bell hooks
'Feminism for Real' edited by Jessica Yee
What is a feminist zine? OR Is my zine feminist?
A feminist zine might be about:
- ways to ask for consent
- personal experience about your identity or belief
- critique of your favourite or least favourite TV show
- creating the community that you want to live in
- women's rights
- experiences as a survivor
- music that inspires you
- comic about your walk home last night
- your feminist hero
- immigration or migration
- a story about sexism you experienced at work
- sexy science fiction
- your take on Canada's proposed sex work laws
- interviewing a mentor or someone who inspires you
- and lots and lots and lots of other things
If you have any questions about whether your work might fit at the HFZF, you can email or call Erin Crickett for more information email@example.com or 905.525.4573.
A half table costs ten dollars. Email us - firstname.lastname@example.org - if you cannot afford ten dollars as there are spaces available for free.
We're really excited about the organizers who came before us! Our 'About Us' is inspired by Toronto Queer Zine Fair, Feminist Zine Fest NYC, Philly Feminist Zine Fest.
YWCA Hamilton (View)
75 MacNab Street South
Hamilton, ON L8P 3C1
|Kid Friendly: Yes!|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|