Luminous Flux: a weekend of video art, performance, dancing
Luminous Flux: Perceived Power of Light
Galapagos Art Space, 16 Main St, DUMBO, BK
Fri, April 3: Fearless Flux, 11pm-4am, $10
Sat, April 4: Space Flux - Yuri's Night, 8pm-4am, $15 adv/$25 door
Sun, April 5: Family Flux, 2pm-6pm, $5 kids/$7 adults/$20 family ticket (for four)
Sun, April 5: Luminous Flux Artist Party, 8pm-2am, $10
Fri-Sun Weekend Pass: $20
Official Site: http://www.luminousfluxnyc.com
Gemini & Scorpio (event-planning gurus, as seen in The Village Voice "Best of 2006") and Leo Kuelbs (Dumbo-based art curator) present Luminous Flux, a full weekend of eye-popping video art on the theme of FLIGHT, as explored through selected works, installations, live multimedia performances and VJ sets in the spectacular Galapagos Art Space, April 3-5.
Luminous flux is the measure of perceived power of light. Over the course of our event, over 30 artists harness this power to present their unique interpretation of FLIGHT, with works ranging from abstract to whimsical to challenging to dazzling.
Kuelbs showcases video work in a unique 4-channel environment, a "living gallery" devoted to one artist at a time on four screens, all in one 2-hour looped reel that will be shown on all three nights. G&S concoct their usual wild mix of live performance, circus, spectacle and dance party, this time revolving heavily around innovative video work.
Luminous Flux will consist of four live showcases over three days.
- Friday's Fearless Flux takes chances with experimental, explorative, and exciting multimedia performances and VJ sets.
- Saturday's Space Flux joins forces with Space Tourism Society to present Yuri's Night, the annual space-themed costume party to celebrate the anniversary of the first man in space. (Advance tickets *highly* recommended for this one, as it usually sells out)
- Sunday's daytime Family Flux is a video and dance party for kids big and small, with puppets, spectacle and more.
- Sunday's all-night Luminous Flux Artist Party is the artist reception and live video mixing playground, with each participating VJ taking a turn at the decks.
See site for all event details (highlights below): http://www.luminousfluxnyc.com
Fearless Flux: Fri, April 3, 11pm-4am, $10 (included in $20 weekend pass)
We take chances with experimental, explorative, exciting live multimedia performances and VJ sets.
- An experimental music/dance/video performance by Z Collective & ZGT Radio Projekt
Space Flux - Yuri's Night: Sat, April 4, 8pm-4am, $15-$25 (included in $20 weekend pass)
In association with Space Tourism Society, we present Yuri's Night 2009: a celebration of humanity's achievements in space...via a killer costume party. Each April, people from around the world come together to mark the anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's first flight into space (in 1961) and the first launch of the US Space Shuttle (in 1981).
- A live space-tastic performance by My Robot Friend, who has appeared on Rolling Stone magazine's Hot List, and opened for luminaries such as the Scissor Sisters, Le Tigre and Herbert
- RetroFuture video mix of 1950's-era visions of life in the 21st century
- Live-action space-trivia game with prizes for the ultimate survivors
- Costume contest: break out your best sci-fi hero/space monster/star child/glowing extra-terrestrial costume, and compete for our fantastic prize pack
- Midnight Toast to Yuri Gagarin
- DJ Miko "Wanderlust" Bratland spinning intergalactic mashup tunes until 4am
Luminous Flux Artist Party: Sun, April 5, 8pm-2am, $10 (included in $20 weekend pass)
Toast and dance with the artists involved in Luminous Flux, as all participating VJs take turns doing live sets, and we present some special performances we've been saving up till the last night.
- Specially developed duo by aerialist Jordann Baker and video artist Nathan Guisinger
- A special preview of their new show "Wonderland" by Anonymous Ensemble, an interactive theater and spectacle troupe, nominated for the Total Theatre Award at the 2008 Edinburgh Festival Fringe
Family Flux: Sun, April 5, 2pm-6pm, $5 kids/$7 adults/$20 family ticket (for four)
For kids big and small, a video and dance party, with puppets, spectacle and more.
- Hooping class for kids with Kayti Bunny
- Selection of short video works by puppeteer Leat Klingman
- Special preview of their new show "Wonderland" by Anonymous Ensemble, an interactive theater and spectacle troupe, nominated for the Total Theatre Award at the 2008 Edinburgh Festival Fringe
Galapagos Art Space
16 Main St
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: No|