Lee's Summit FOCIS - Focus on Children in Separation
DUE TO COVID CHILDREN AND TEENS ARE NOT ATTENDING FOCIS.
FOCIS is a 3 hour course for parents who are divorcing. This course is designed to teach parents positive ways to cope with the changes divorce brings to a family.
To help parents build competencies designed to empower them to resolve conflict constructively in order to expedite the court process and to minimize the need for future court intervention.
ACCESS TO SERVICE:
Pursuant to Local Rule 68.13, parents and children ages 5-17 involved in ANY Dissolution with Children are required to attend FOCIS. Due to COVID children and teens are not to attend the FOCIS class. The cost is $47 plus service charge per parent. You must register at least 48 hours prior to the class. Pre-enrollment is required. Upon completion, Family Court Resource Services will forward an attendance certificate to the Court for filing.
Frequently Asked Questions for Parent Awareness Courses:
1. How long is the FOCIS class?
Answer: FOCIS is a 3 hour course.
2. I didn't register online in time, can I pay at the door and show up to class and register then?
Answer: NO. FCRS will not accept any money or register any participants at the door. If you have not pre-registered, you will be directed to do so online for a later class. If you are unable to register or pay online, please call
(816) 881-1814 for assistance on other options.
3. I do not have a credit/debit card to register online. What can I do?
Answer: You may purchase a debit card at several other outlets with cash. If you don't have a credit/debit card and/or are unable to obtain one, please contact our office at 816-881-1814 to discuss alternative options.
4. The filing fees have been waived in my case as the court has determined I am indigent. Is my fee for FOCIS attendance waived also?
Answer: Contact FCRS to get more information at
(816) 881-1814 so we can check to see if your fees should be waived or reduced.
5. There are no classes available before my court date. What do I do?
Answer: Classes are offered 4 times monthly. If your case is contested (there are issues in dispute) you should have your class completed by the Case Management Conference.
If your case is uncontested (there are no issues in dispute) then you should have your class completed by the date of the uncontested hearing.
If classes are full and you cannot get into a class prior to these dates, you should discuss the matter with your attorney; otherwise you may register for the next available class then show the court your confirmation letter.
6. What if I attend class but my spouse fails to do so?
Answer: The court determines what action if any will be taken if a party fails to comply with the requirement but Local Rule 68.12 provides that the court may award attorney's fees and/or costs or impose any other appropriate sanctions provided by law.
7. I registered for a class but an emergency came up and I was unable to attend. Can I get a refund?
Answer: NO. All sales for class registration are final; you may select another date to make up the class you missed but no refunds will be given under any circumstances including cancellations due to inclement weather or for any other reason.
8. I have a language barrier and need an interpreter for the class. How do I arrange this?
Answer: Contact FCRS at 881-1814 to arrange interpreter services. They will get your class registration information and make sure an interpreter is available for you.
Woods Chapel United Methodist Church (View)
4725 NE Lakewood Way
Lee's Summit, MO 64064