Being differently pleasured is difficult enough without the stigma of mental illness, but when they are combined, the obstacles to healthy relationships and happiness can be daunting. So let's start by looking at the facts. The ONE thing that BDSM and Mental Illness have in common is the stigma - and that's it. It is estimated that 26.2% of Americans suffer from Mental Illness - that's 57.7 million people. |
Furthermore, 8-11% of the population engages in BDSM. So naturally, a percentage of them will suffer from mental illness. Correlation isn't causation, so join us as we tease them apart in a discussion of Mental Illness and how it affects the BDSM community in terms of their access to help, treatment, and understanding from family, friends and peers.
Whether you're a Pro-Domme or in the lifestyle, the odds are, you, or someone you know, suffer from mental illness. If you're a sufferer, you may have problems getting the health care you need. You may have trouble confiding in people and getting support. If you're in the profession, every time you do a session, there is a 1 and 4 chance that the person you're doing a session with has some form of mental illness, or you may be battling it yourself. You need to know how to play safely from both perspectives. Come join an interesting & thought-provoking discussion that will challenge your belief systems and open up new possibilities for understanding and treatment.
This Class is a companion class to "Neurology of the Kinky Brain 1.0". It's not required you attend, but we do highly recommend that you do, as it may be hard to follow if you haven't.
Some of the topics we'll explore will be:
1. Identifying and defining mental illnesses: Depression, Anxiety, MMD, PTSD, ADHD, BPD, Bipolar, Aspergers, Schizophrenia, NPD, Psychopathy, Sociopath, and more
2. The difference between Mental Illness and Insanity. Dealing with the "Delusion Bubble"
3. When is someone dangerous, and how to keep yourself safe in an age of internet stalkers.
4. Creating a "Safe Space" takes on new meaning in this context. Use the DBT intimacy circle to
5. What forms of therapy are best if you're kinky?
6. To medicate or not to medicate? Make an informed decision after you learn about the different kinds of medications and their pros and cons.
7. What is Duel Diagnosis and why is it referred to as being a "Double Winner"
8. How to destigmatize mental illness. How SM can bring catharsis and healing.
9. The Pro-Domme often wears the therapist hat. While this gives many a sense of meaning and purpose, it may also give them "caretaker's burnout". We'll give you a few tips on how to spot it before it gets out of hand, and how to treat it if you're already there.
Moderator: Mss. Tara Indiana
The Children of Lilith Temple (View)
Boyle Heights Area EXACT ADDRESS with TICKET
Los Angeles, CA 90033
|Minimum Age: 18|
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: No|
No Wheelchair Access