Are You Challenged by How to Deal with Race Issues in Your Practice, Institution or in the Classroom? Are You Concerned about the Impact of Racism in your city and state? |
The Undoing Racism/Community Organizing workshop is an intensive 2.5 day workshop designed to educate, challenge and empower people to undo the racist structures that hinder effective social change. The training is based on the premise that racism has been systematically constructed and that it can be undone when people understand where it comes from, how it functions, why it is perpetuated, and what we can do to dismantle it.
The workshop is offered by the Peoples Institute for Survival and Beyond, a national, multiracial, anti-racist collective of veteran organizers and educators dedicated to building an effective movement for social change. Since its founding in 1980, The Peoples Institute has trained over a million people in hundreds of communities throughout the United States and internationally. It is recognized as one of the most effective anti-racist training and organizing institutions in the nation.
The workshop addresses the following areas:
1) Analyzing Power:Effective organizing requires accurate analysis of the systems that keep racism in place. This workshop examines why people are poor, how institutions and organizations perpetuate the imbalance of power, and who benefits from the maintenance of the status quo.
2) Defining Racism: In order to undo racism, organizers and educators must understand what racism is, and how and why it was constructed. The workshop explores how the idea of race was created to implement systems that benefit some people and oppress and disadvantage others.
3) Learning From History: Racism has distorted, suppressed and denied the histories of people of color and white people. The training demonstrates that a full knowledge of history is a necessary organizing tool as well as a source of personal and collective empowerment.
4) Understanding the Manifestations of Racism: How racism operates in individual and institutional settings. The dynamics of cultural racism, linguistic racism, and militarism as applied racism.
5) Recognizing Internalized Manifestations of Racial Oppression: The workshop explores how internalized racial oppression manifests itself both as Internalized Racial Inferiority and Internalized Racial Superiority within individuals and collectives.
6) Sharing culture: The training process demonstrates that even as racism divides people, sharing culture unites us. Cultural sharing is a critical organizing tool, and is central to the training.
7) Organizing to Undo Racism: The training explores principles of effective organizing, strategic techniques of community empowerment, the importance of community accountability, and the internal dynamics of leadership development.
This program is approved for 16 CE Credit Hours.Inquiries. Inquiries should be directed to: email@example.com
MPG Consulting LCSW, PLLC, SW CPE is recognized by NYS Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for Licensed Social Workers #0119.
|Thursday Apr 08, 2021 8:00 PM - Friday Apr 08, 2022 10:00 PM | $177.53 - $355.06
Bank Street School of Education Interchurch Center (View)
61 Claremont Avenue, 14th Floor
New York, NY 10027
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|