Art & Meditate
Guided meditation incorporating creating art as a mindfulness tool. Beginners and experienced meditators are welcome.
The type of meditation being practiced is insight meditation and lovingkindness meditation. Art supplies and light snacks provided. We'll be drawing using paint markers, small canvases, and colored pencils. This event is for anyone interested in meditating while participating in mindful artwork in the form of drawing.
Photographs will be taken at the event for use on social media.
We pride ourselves on being welcoming, open, respectful, diverse, and inclusive.
1. First, we will each introduce ourselves to the group and speak a little about what brings us to the meditation.
2. Next, the meditation teacher leads the group in about 20 minutes of guided meditation.
3. The teacher then leads the group in about 15 minutes of silent sitting or silent walking meditation. Participants may choose to engage in the silent mediation from a seated posture or as a walking meditation.
4. Next, we'll transition into about 30 minutes of guided meditation coupled with meditative music while the teacher leads participants in staying in the present moment while drawing and creating original artwork (supplies provided).
5. The teacher concludes the meditative drawing period and we'll transition into about 15 minutes to share, for those who wish to share thoughts and experiences that came up during the meditative practices.
About Your Meditation Teacher:
Guided meditations are led by Karen Mitchell, Founder and Director of Omm Office LLC.
Karen has been practicing Vipassana (insight) and metta (lovingkindness) meditation for more than 13 years.
She holds certifications in both mindfulness as well as mindfulness at work. Karen has been trained in MBSR or mindfulness-based stress reduction through coursework with IMCW teachers Hugh Byrne and Rebecca Hines. Karen maintains a daily personal practice and regularly practices and receives training with insight meditation groups located in the DMV, London, Baltimore, New York, and LA.
IMCW Center for Mindful Living (View)
4708 Wisconsin Avenue NW
Washington DC, DC 20016
|Minimum Age: 21|
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|