Engaged Department Institute with Kevin Kecskes
Are you ready to take your academic community engagement to the next level? Are you ready to collaborate with colleagues to build long-term, sustainable community partnerships? Then plan to bring a team to:
The Engaged Department Institute at Slippery Rock University on January 24, 2020, with Kevin Kecskes from Portland State University.
The Institute will explore how engaged department initiatives have empowered students, elevated community partner voices in multiple ways, and provided probationary faculty with collaborative opportunities to influence unit-wide community engagement efforts.
What will you get?
* Increased understanding about the advanced practice of departmental engagement, including how initiatives can:
- Accelerate, broaden and deepen student learning;
- Connect teaching, service, research and assessment agendas;
- Sustain positive community impact;
- Expand the voices of diverse stakeholders in public problem solving and democratic community building.
* Dialogue with teams of colleagues that are actively committed to establishing / furthering their unit-level engagement agendas.
* Return to home campus with tangible engaged department resources to share with colleagues in your academic unit, and beyond.
Kevin Kecskes is Associate Professor of Public Administration at Portland State University (PSU). He teaches in the graduate MPA and Doctoral programs at the Hatfield School of Government and is one of the original founders and faculty for PSUs undergraduate program in civic leadership. For over a decade, Kevin provided university-wide leadership at PSU as Associate Vice Provost for Engagement and Director for Community-University Partnerships. From 1997-2002, he was Regional Program Director for the Western Region Campus Compact Consortium. Kevin is the editor of Engaging Departments: Moving Faculty Culture from Private to Public, Individual to Collective Focus for the Common Good (2006) along with several journal articles and book chapters focused on the engaged department. He has been involved in the higher education civic engagement movement for 25 years.
Slippery Rock University/Smith Student Center (View)
One Morrow Way
Slippery Rock, PA 16057
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|