Anything that Floats Race
Test your marine engineering and design skills in a race on the Potomac River!
Build and race a seaworthy-ish vessel!
Register now for the Anything that Floats Race, benefiting the Alexandria Seaport Foundation, at the Portside in Old Town Fall Festival.
Awards for First Place and for Most Creative. First Place will be awarded to the entry that gets to the buoy and back to shore first!
1. Guard approved "personal flotation devices" (PFD's, life jackets or vests) must be worn at all times during the race. They must be the proper size and in good condition.
2. All participants must be 12 years of age or older to be a part of the crew. The entire crew must sign an acknowledgement of risk form. Participants under 18 must have a signed release from a parent or guardian.
3. Participants may enter as individuals or teams. A maximum of 6 people per entry may enter the water during the race. All participants must be contained within their vessel. No participants can swim alongside their vessel.
4. Boats must be homemade vessels made of materials that you could find around your house or office. Materials allowed: cardboard, wood, pvc, duct tape, milk jugs, Saran wrap, old t-shirts, outdoor furniture, pool noodles (only six maximum), and old bikes. No polystyrene foam or inflatable rafts allowed. Oars, paddles and sails are allowed (hence the t-shirts) and pedal power is OK. No motors of any kind. Example: Powerboats, canoes, kayaks, skiffs or other commercially designed craft will not qualify. The vessels must be powered by human energy.
5. Boat captains are responsible for placing your entry into the water, and for the proper salvage and disposal of your craft remains after the race. No vessels may remain on site after the event is finished.
6. Alexandria Seaport Foundation is not liable for any injuries sustained by any participants during this event.
7. Your craft's final assembly will take place at Waterfront Park.
8. Starting horn will go off at 2:30.
Portside in Old Town Fall Festival, Waterfront Park (View)
1A Prince Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
|Minimum Age: 12|
|Kid Friendly: Yes!|
|Dog Friendly: Yes!|