Young Agrarians- Soil Workshop, Farm Tour, Potluck
Soil Workshop with Dr. Kris Nichols & Farm Tour at Armstrong Acres
When: June 14, 2019
Where: Armstrong Acres, Farm near Hythe-AB
Directions from Hythe- follow Highway 43 towards Dawson Creek, turn left onto Range Rd 120, then turn right onto Township Rd 740, after 2 km it will be the first house to your right.
1.30 pm Farm Tour at Armstrong Acres
3.30 pm Soil Workshop with Dr. Kris Nichols
7.00 pm Potluck
What to bring:
Soil from your land (2 cups)
A potluck dish (salad or dessert)
A plate and eating tools
About the Workshop:
Get the Dirt on Soil Health and Carbon
Soil health is critical to your productivity, to reducing climate impacts, including drought and flood, and to improve your bottom line. Are you doing everything possible to build and manage it?
This interactive workshop with Dr. Kris Nichols, internationally recognized soil microbiologist will take you underground to examine the soil microbiome and see close-up what happens to the soil microbiology when you change the top of the soil.
We will discuss:
- The science behind soil carbon sequestration and how it is related to soil health,
- How to increase soil carbon and soil health by working with the microbes on your land
- how building healthy soil mitigates drought, flooding, and helps you to make the most of your rainfall,
- how to reduce input costs
- where and how farmers and ranchers fit into the climate change solution
- economic and agronomic benefits of taking a proactive approach
- how to make a climate assessment of your operation
- the underlying scientific knowledge that informs these practices and links them to climate change adaptation and mitigation.
Be prepared to get your hands dirty! We will be hands-on as we will study soil cores up close and build soil assessment tools for you to take home and implement on your land tomorrow.
Armstrong Acres (View)
Township Road 740
Hythe, AB T0H 2C0