1. Discussion of baking and milling history; ingredients and methods used in each. Context of localities and regions in shaping bread and milling traditions. Tasting of store bought bread and flour.
2. Demonstration of stone milling. Explanation with different grains and the flour spectrum (fine, medium, coarse) and extraction rates. Tour of BELLEGARDE's stone mill.
3. Introduction to the basic tools of baking (suitable for home use.)
4. Hand-mixing and baking with freshly stone-milled flour.
In this class we will be baking:
- Country Bread, sourdough made with freshly milled wheat.
- Muffaletta Bread, made with freshly milled durum and Texas Olive Oil.
- Sfincione, traditional Sicilian pizza made with breadcrumbs, tomatoes, anchovies, and Caciocavallo cheese.
- Fresh Flour Galette, made with seasonal fruit.
Please note: Refund requests within seven days of class will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
Bellegarde Bakery (View)
3609 Toledano St
New Orleans, LA 70125
|Minimum Age: 18|
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|