Series 4: Unlocking Your Inner Composer with the PRISM Quartet and Tyshawn Sorey at The Free Library of Philadelphia
Unlocking Your Inner Composer is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to collaborate with virtuoso musicians to bring your own musical story to life.
The PRISM Quartet, a world-renowned all-sax ensemble, is joining forces with groundbreaking composer/percussionist Tyshawn Sorey in a series of free workshops at the Parkway Central Library located at 1901 Vine St, Philadelphia, PA 19103.
Participants are invited to compose their own works for PRISM and Sorey exploring musical color by combining saxophones and percussion.
Workshops will take place at Parkway Central Library, as follows:
Workshop 1. Saturday, May 19, 2018: 3:30 - 4:30 PM at Montgomery Auditorium
Workshop 2. Wednesday, May 23, 2018: 7:45 - 8:45 PM at Montgomery Auditorium
Workshop 3. Tuesday, May 29, 2018: 7:45 - 8:45 PM at Montgomery Auditorium
The workshops precede Color Theory 2.0, free concerts by PRISM, Sorey, and Susie Ibarra at the Free Library on June 2nd and 4th featuring world premieres of new works by both guest artists (read about the concerts at https://www.prismquartet.com/concerts/color-theory-2-0/).
Workshops are open to teens and adults, from those without prior musical training or compositional experience to advanced level musicians/composers in search of new techniques and challenges.
Space is limited. In order to accommodate as many aspiring composers as possible, participants may sign up for a single series of three workshops. Participants are required to attend all three workshops within their series.
Workshops will culminate in a performance of participants' compositions by PRISM and Sorey. Participants may join performances of their works, using their own instruments or instruments on loan from the Parkway Central Library music department. (To learn about borrowing an instrument go to https://libwww.freelibrary.org/blog/post/2640.) Public concerts on June 2nd and 4th will also include select compositions by workshop participants.
ABOUT THE WORKSHOPS
Unlocking Your Inner Composer consists of:
1) Demonstrations: PRISM Quartet and Tyshawn Sorey will perform a wide range of works, explain stylistic features of each, and discuss the unique properties of their instruments.
2) Fundamentals of Music: discussion and demonstrations of specific elements of composition: melody, harmony, rhythm, articulation, dynamics, extended techniques, improvisation, form, and how to organize and develop musical ideas;
3) Notation: discussion and hand-outs of graphic notation, a system for communicating musical ideas without standard notation, to enable participants compositions (participants who know how to read music may use standard notation);
4) Big Picture: Tyshawn Sorey and PRISM Quartet members will discuss elements of successful collaborations and how to develop your own distinctive voice as a composer.
5) Performance: PRISM and Sorey will play participants' compositions on the final workshop of each series.
Parkway Central Library (View)
1901 Vine St.
Philadelphia, PA 19103
|Minimum Age: 13|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|
May 18, 2018 8:33 PM
May 18, 2018 6:07 PM
May 15, 2018 10:04 AM
Apr 26, 2018 6:18 AM
Apr 14, 2018 9:18 AM
Mar 21, 2018 5:44 PM