Botanical Illustration in Watercolor: Orchids---EVENT CANCELED
Saturday, October 22 and Sunday, October 23
9:30 a.m.- 3:30 p.m.
Join botanical artist Lisa Pompelli for a two-day watercolor class with orchids as the subject. Students can work from their own small potted orchid plant or use one provided by the instructor. Prior drawing skills are strongly recommended. This class coincides with The Huntingtons International Orchid Show, on view in the Botanical Center Oct. 2123.
Class supply list is below.
Please bring the following items each day of class.
Small potted orchid plant in bloom. Paphiopedilum orchids will also be available in class.
* 1 HB & 1 3H pencil
* Magic Rub eraser
* Kneaded eraser
* Strathmore Drawing pad (no smaller than 11 x 14)
* sheet of Fabriano Artistico Hot Press WC paper 140lb.
* 2 plastic palettes (preferably the approx. 10 x 13 palettes with squares and circles with lid) Porcelain palettes are also fine to bring.
* Small water container.
* Tracing paper
* White artist tape
* Kleenex tissue for blotting
* Masking Fluid Windsor Newton or Daniel Smith
* Small Desk Lamp w/adjustable arm and incandescent lightbulb. Please do not bring type with clamps as the base. Please do not forget to bring a lamp!
Paint brands - either Windsor Newton, Daniel Smith, Daler Rowney or Aquarelle. Avoid Cotman, or Grumbacher student grade paints.
* Sap Green
* Chromium oxide green
* Prussian Blue and/or French Ultramarine Blue
* Lemon Yellow Deep or Hansa Yellow Deep
* Burnt Umber
* Quinacridone Magenta preferably by Daniel Smith
* Scarlet Lake
* Permanent Rose
* Permanent Alizarin Crimson
* Windsor Violet
* Neutral Tint
Brushes Windsor & Newton Series 7, or Da Vinci Maestro series 11. Either are reliable brands. Please transport your brushes carefully in order to protect their delicate tips. This may be your most important purchase so please bring good brushes.
* Watercolor paintbrushes round tips: one #2, one #3, two #4
* Optional extra brushes Isabey Kolinsky Re-Touch Spotter brushes #2, #4 (can be purchased at some art supply stores or online at: http://italianartstore.com/store/Isabey_Kolinsky_ReTouch_Spotter.html
* Optional roll of Saral graphite paper for transferring your drawing on to wc paper.
WAIT LIST POLICY: Occasionally a space may become available, so please visit this event page again at any time. If you would like to be added to the wait list, please call 626-405-2128. Please leave your name, phone number, and program name. You will receive a call back ONLY if there is an opening.
Refunds will be issued only if cancellation is made at least 5 days prior to the event. Cancellations made within 5 days of the event will not be refunded.
The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens (View)
1151 Oxford Road
San Marino, CA 91108
|Minimum Age: 18|
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|