ASIST - Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) is a two-day training designed for members of ALL care-giving groups to improve their abilities to intervene with a person at risk of suicide until either the immediate danger of suicide is reduced or when additional assistance or resources can be accessed.
ASIST training is especially helpful for non-licensed human service professionals, college/graduate students, support staff in human service agencies, community volunteers, volunteer coordinators in human service agencies and to anyone with a desire to help make our community suicide safe.
Upon completion of the two-day training, participants should be able to:
1. Recognize that persons at risk are affected by personal and societal attitudes about suicide.
2. Identify factors that indicate and estimate the risk of suicide.
3. Estimate the degree of risk.
4. Discuss suicide with a person at risk in a direct manner.
5. Demonstrate required skills to intervene with a person at risk of suicide.
6. Help to coordinate social support resources to persons at risk of suicide.
Dates & Times of Training: Saturday & Sunday, December 12 and 13 from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. You must be present both days to receive certification.
Parking Instructions: Park in the large parking lot by the Elberson Fine Arts Center, Salem College East Campus Entrance, 500 E. Salem Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
1. Blair Hedgecock, Center for Behavioral Health & Wellness, NC A&T State University
2. Andy Hagler, Executive Director, Mental Health Association in Forsyth County
1. American Foundation for Suicide Prevention - NC Chapter
2. Center for Behavioral Health & Wellness - NC A&T State University, Greensboro, NC
3. Salem College - Winston-Salem, NC
4. Mental Health Association in Forsyth County, Winston-Salem, NC
Dana M. Cea (336) 817-1525
Andy Hagler (336) 734-3467
Salem College - Student Center (View)
601 S. Church Street (Park by the Elberson Fine Arts Center, East Campus)
Winston Salem , NC 27101
|Minimum Age: 16|
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|