FRIDAY, AUGUST 21, 2015 - SESSION AMERICANA
8:00 pm, doors open at 7:00 pm
BYOB & BYOF
$12 advance, $15 at the door
Sandywoods Center for the Arts
43 Muse Way, Tiverton, RI
Session Americana (Boston) is a rock band in a tea cup, or possibly a folk band in a whiskey bottle. This band/collective of talented musicians craft an musical experience unlike any other. On stage is a collapsible bar table wired with microphones, a vintage suitcase recast as a kick drum, an old Estey field organ, a pre-war parlor guitar, a mandocello and all of its smaller siblings, a harmonica case fire damaged when Jack's bar went up in flames and graffitied by Depeche Mode roadies, and an assortment of other instruments that get passed around in this freewheeling modern hootenanny. The anything-could-happen feel of a Session show depends on craft that's not accidental or easilywon; they bring a kind of ease and genuineness to this timeless music, sometimes presenting the latest batch of original songs, sometimes reaching back into depths of the American "song bag".
Members one line bios
- Ry Cavanaugh's song, "Lighthouse Light" was released by Mary Black on her last record, Songs for the Steeples.
- Billy Beard is the drummer on the Patty Griffin's "Silver Bell on Universal Records .
- Dinty Child is a multi-instrumentalist on Rose Cousins Juno-award winning album, "We have Made a Spark".
- Jim Fitting was the harmonica player in The The from 1993-1995.
- Kimon Kirk (bass) co-writes with and occasionally performs with Aimee Mann.
- Zach Hickman is the bass player and in Josh Ritter's band
- Jon Bistline recorded original album with Steve Albini
- Laura Cortese tours extensively around the globe with her band, The Dance Cards.
- Jefferson Hamer won the 2014 BBC Radio 2 Folk Award for Best Traditional Song for his Child Ballads collaboration with Anais Mitchell.
- Adam Moss is a Klezmer and Jazz fiddle player and writer
- Jimmy Ryan is a founding member of alt-country supergroup Blood Oranges and played mandolin on Morphine albums
Duke Levine is currently a member of the J Geils Band
Alec Spiegelman is a member of Cuddlemagic
SANDYWOODS CENTER FOR THE ARTS (View)
53 Muse Way
Tiverton, RI 02878