Bach vs. Handel Smackdown
WE play. YOU vote. YOU decide: WHO is GREATER?
With the help of the audience and Chorus Austin, La Follia settles a debate that dates back to the time of Bach and Handel: Who is the greater composer? We settle it the all-American way: a Smackdown!
In each round of the Smackdown, La Follia will perform comparable "hit pieces" by each composer, from solo and ensemble works, mellow music, bravura works for divas, and "greatest hit" keyboard and choral pieces. At the end of each round, the audience votes: which is better? The votes are tallied for each round, and at the end, a winner is declared.
This gala event includes trumpets, horns, oboes, timpani, strings, organ, harpsichord, star vocalists, and members of Chorus Austin. Featured soloists are Stephanie Raby, violin, Jane Leggiero, cello, Meredith Ruduski, soprano, Nick Zammit, countertenor, Brian Shaw, trumpet, and Chris Keenan, organ.
This is your chance to be heard on this important issue. Otherwise, you are stuck getting your opinions handed to you from CD liner notes and musicologists. That is not the American way. To quote Highlander: "There can only be ONE".
1. Bach Sinfonia to Cantata 29 vs. Handel Water Music Suite 2
2. Bach Cello Suite 1 vs. Handel Violin Sonata in D
3. Bach Air on the G String vs. Handel "Ombra mai fu"
4. Bach "Alleluia" from Cantata 51 vs. Handel "Iris, Hence Away!"
5. Bach Toccata in D minor vs. Handel Blacksmith Variations
6. Bach "Jesu Joy of Man's desiring" vs. Handel Hallelujah Chorus
First Presbyterian Church (View)
8001 Mesa Drive
Austin, TX 78731
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|