Seattle - A performance workshop in the American Cabaret Style
The Pacific Northwest Cabaret Association and Jizel Music
A performance workshop in the American Cabaret Style
The PNW Cabaret Association and Jizel Music of San Francisco are presenting - an American Cabaret-Style performance workshop in Seattle. From Friday evening, September 30th to Saturday evening, October 1st, this 1-1/2 day workshop will culminate with a concert by Arnaldo! and Linda with performances by the participants and open to the public.
Arnaldo! Drag Chanteuse and Linda Kosut, both recipients of Back Stage Magazine's prestigious BISTRO Award, which recognizes outstanding performances, accomplishments and contributions by members of the New York cabaret community, will be co-teaching this workshop along with Daryl Spadaccini, musical director.
Arnaldo! Drag Chanteuse has been a presence in Seattle cabaret for well over 10 years and has performed coast-to-coast, as well as Europe and Mexico. Linda, a San Francisco resident, performs in cabaret rooms and jazz clubs in San Francisco and throughout the country. She has been teaching cabaret performance for over 7 years.
For more information on the coaches, visit their websites as listed below.
THE AMERICAN CABARET STYLE is a derivative of the European cabaret form yet differs in delivery and technique. While the former is much more intimate and subtle, the latter is much more theatrical and dark. The American cabaret evolved in the New York speakeasies and lounges, and was in its glory in the 1930s through the early 1970s. Many major stars such as Liza Minnelli, Barbara Streisand and Bette Midler, to name a few, started and honed their crafts in the intimate NY cabaret stages. In the 1950s, Frank Sinatra would spend the wee hours of the morning listening to the phrasings and delivery of cabaret legend Mabel Mercer.
ABOUT THE WORKSHOP:
The workshop is intended for people at all levels and stages of performance development and experience. The coaching will focus on such areas as lyric interpretation, how to engage your audience, stage presence, microphone technique, creating and delivering patter, and building an entertaining cabaret show.
Other topics we will touch on ...
* The business of cabaret
* How to work with your accompanist/musical director
* How to work with venue owners
* How to work with technical/lighting/audio directors
* Promotion and Marketing
* Physical style, hair and make-up, fashion and what works onstage.
REQUIREMENTS for participants:
* Able to sing or deliver a song - this is not a voice class and vocal coaching is not officially part of the curriculum
* Bring 4 songs to work on during the workshop - the written music and accompaniment must be in your proper key(s). If you need help with this prior to the workshop, please contact Daryl directly at his email below.
* We recommend that the 4 songs are varied in tempo and style - ballad, up-tempo, comedy; as well as being varied in genre - jazz, pop, folk, Broadway, etc.
* Provide your show wardrobe, accessories and make-up for review
* To participate and to contribute fully in all workshop activities
DATES & TIMES:
Friday, September 30 - 7:00pm 10:00pm
Saturday, October 1 - 10:00am to 5:00pm (w/lunch break)
Saturday, October 1 - Concert: 9:00pm - 10:30pm (theater call time 8:00pm)
Theater Puget Sound @ Seattle Center
305 Harrison Street, Seattle, WA 98109
LOCATION DETAILS WILL BE SENT TO YOU UPON REGISTRATION
Visit their website for information on parking & directions: http://seattlecenter.com
CONCERT LOCATION & INFORMATION:
EGAN'S BALLARD HOUSE
1707 NW Market Street
Seattle, WA 98107
$20 + 2 drink minimum
RESERVATIONS A MUST: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/201184
PS: It is recommended that you invite your guests at the time you register into the workshop as you will want to perform to a full house!
The workshop tuition is $225. The fee includes a non-refundable administration fee of $50.
* On or before September 25: Full refund less the $50 Administration Fee
* After September 25: 50% less the $50 Administration Fee
We hope to see you on September 30.
This will be a very exciting and full weekend of fun and learning.
For more information, contact:
Arnaldo! Drag Chanteuse
website: www.lindakosut.com and www.jizelmusic.com
Classes: Theater Puget Sound @ Seattle Center (View)
305 Harrison Street
Seattle, WA 98109
|Minimum Age: 14|
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|