A moving and celebratory musical play in which hats become a springboard for an exploration of black history and identity as seen through the eyes of a young black woman who has come down South to stay with her aunt after her brother is killed in Brooklyn. Hats are everywhere, in exquisite variety, and the characters use the hats to tell tales concerning everything from the etiquette of hats to their historical and contemporary social functioning. There is a hat for every occasion, from flirting to churchgoing to funerals to baptisms, and the tradition of hats is traced back to African rituals and slavery and forward to the New Testament and current fashion. Some rap but predominantly gospel music and dance underscore and support the narratives. The conclusion finds the standoffish young woman, whose cultural identity as a young black Brooklyn woman has been so at odds with the more traditional and older Southern blacks, embracing hats and their cultural significance as a part of her own fiercely independent identity.
NOTE:ONLINE PURCHASES END 1 HOUR PRIOR TO SHOWTIMES.BOX OFFICE WILL OPEN APPROXIMATELY 90 MINUTES PRIOR TO EACH SHOW.
** ADDITIONAL INFORMATION **
- TO RESERVE HANDICAP SEATING CALL 678-842-3636
- There are no seats in handicap section. Must have own wheelchair.
-Ticket prices are subject to change for any performance based on demand
- The show is approximately 2HR and 25Min; with a 10 minute intermission.
- Group tickets apply to adult tickets only. You must purchase a minimum of 10 adult tickets to be eligible for the group rate. Combined ticket prices must include a minimum of 10 adult tickets to qualify for the group rate.
-Dominion Entertainment Group reserves the right to reassign any ticket that is not claimed within 15 minutes after start of show.
- Senior pricing available for ages 65 and older.
- Student pricing available for ages 13-17.
- Child pricing available for ages 12 and under.
- Per Southwest Arts Center policy, patrons who arrive after the show starts may forfeit their original seats, and will be seated in the rear of the theatre to avoid disruption of other guests.
- Tickets are not refundable; exchanges are based on seat availability and are handled by Brownpapertickets.com.
Southwest Arts Center PerformanceTheater (View)
915 New Hope Rd. SW
Atlanta, GA 30331
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|