9/11 Memorial and World Trade Center Walking Tour
Tour Summary: A two-hour walking tour of the 9/11 Memorial, the new World Trade Center, St. Paul's Chapel and the Firefighters Memorial Wall.
Memorial Access Included: Access to the 9/11 Memorial is included as part of this tour.
Tour leader Doug Fox brings an extensive collection of photos, illustrations and maps that highlight the events of 9/11, the 9/11 Memorial, the history of the World Trade Center and many other developments related to the tour's contents.
Tour start location: Southwest Corner of Broadway and Vesey Street (by St Paul's Chapel).
Sites we will visit and topics we will discuss:
- The September 11, 2001 terrorist attack that toppled the iconic Twin Towers and killed almost 3,000 civilians and first responders.
- The 9/11 Memorial, built in the footprints of the original Twin Towers, and dedicated to the victims of 9/11.
- St. Paul's Chapel, built in 1766 and located just one block from the World Trade Center, survived the 9/11 attack with barely a scratch, and served as an important place of rest and recovery for construction workers, firefighters, police officers and others working on recovery efforts at Ground Zero.
- FDNY (Fire Department, City of New York) Memorial Wall at Ten House that pays tribute to the 343 firefighters who fell on 9/11.
- The history, design, construction and engineering of the original World Trade Center.
- The engineering and safety features of 1 World Trade Center (Freedom Tower), now the tallest building in New York City.
- The upcoming 9/11 Museum that houses important 9/11 artifacts including the Steel Tridents, the Last Column, the Survivor's Staircase and the 9/11 Cross.
- The Santiago Calatrava Transportation Hub with its soaring 150-foot-high ribbed white wings.
- The 9/11 boatlift operation that brought tens of thousands of people off the island of Manhattan to safety.
- Restoration and rebuilding around the perimeter of Ground Zero: Cass Gilbert's 90 West Street, the World Financial Center and Winter Garden, Zuccotti Park, and St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church.
If you have questions about the above tour description, please email Doug Fox.
Southwest Corner of Broadway and Vesey Street by St. Paul's Chapel. (View)
Broadway and Vesey Street
New York, NY 10007
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: No|