Backcountry Film Festival in San Francisco
Sports Basement - Bryant
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Doors open 6pm, Film 7pm
FREE BEER and FREE PIZZA (from Goat Hill Pizza)
Sports Basement will be offering a 10% discount in-store on the night of the film for attendees. Time to stock up!
Winter is upon us and once again the Winter Wildlands Alliance Backcountry Film Festival is answering the call. Wax those skis, tune those boards and gather your friends! There is no better way to celebrate the fun and beauty of winter than with the Backcountry Film Festival, a true celebration of winter played and lived as told thru the seven unique films included in the eighth annual Backcountry Film Festival. Snowlands Network presents the Winter Wildlands Alliance Backcountry Film Festival at "The Grotto" at Sports Basement - Bryant on Wednesday, February 6, 2013. The Backcountry Film Festival will travel to 100 communities around the world with each festival event serving up the best raffle in town, ice cold brews and mountains of winter inspiration to prove once again that Winter Rocks!
The films come from renowned filmmakers who search backcountry corners across the globe to submit their best work, and from grassroots filmmakers who take a video camera out on their weekend excursions and submit their best film short. The entries are juried by a panel of judges and the top selections are assembled into a 90 minute program.
The festival was created eight years ago to highlight Winter Wildlands Alliance's efforts to preserve and promote winter landscapes for human-powered users. From a single showing in Boise that first year, the festival has grown to include showings in locations throughout the United States, Canada and overseas to Antarctica, Europe, Australia and Asia. Funds raised stay in local communities to support like-minded, human-powered recreation efforts and to raise awareness of winter management issues, avalanche training/safety and winter education programs.
This year's program includes seven films:
* Winner of the Best of the Backcountry award, Skiing the Void from Sweetgrass Productions is a reflection on taking chances during their two-year odyssey in the Andes.
* A festival cut of Further, from Teton Gravity Research, brings the return of Jeremy Jones and friends to push the limits of their mountain experience under their own power.
* Luc Mehl, winner of the Hans Sari Scholarship and winner of this year's Best Grassroots Film, chronicles an epic trip across the wild in Alaska Wilderness Classic.
* A Story of Trust is a call for climate recovery from a nine-year-old activist and the winner of this year's Best Environmental Film.
* Denali Experiment is a look at a different type of expedition film from Camp4Collective.
* From Switchback Entertainment comes Freedom Chair, an athlete's journey back to the slopes and his love of winter.
* Unicorn Sashimi from Felt Soul Media highlights the amazing winter snowscapes of Japan
For more information on the Backcountry Film Festival and the tour please visit www.backcountryfilmfestival.org.
Sports Basement - Bryant is located at 1590 Bryant Street in the city. Doors open at 6:00pm, the film starts at 7:00pm. Come early for happy hour! Tickets are available in advance on BrownPaperTickets.com for $12.00 ($10/kids under 13), or at the door for $15 ($10/kids under 13)
For more information and tour dates go to www.backcountryfilmfestival.org. For more information about the Snowlands Network go to www.snowlands.org.
Sports Basement - Bryant Street Grotto (View)
1590 Bryant Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
|Kid Friendly: Yes!|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|