Friday, April 21, 2017|
6:30 PM (main event)
An evening of enlightened discussion will focus on how to balance preservation and development in Chestnut Hill in the wake of unprecedented urban expansion here and throughout Philadelphia. Visionaries in the architecture and urban planning fields will lead the dialogue set for April 21.
The conversation will center around four main questions for the evening:
- What is the sense of place in Chestnut Hill?
- What is the role of development in an established historic community?
- What is the role of preservation in a growing community?
- What does public and private green space mean to the urban community character?
The event commemorates a similar discussion Chestnut Hill Conservancy (then Historical Society) hosted nearly 50 years ago. That discussion featured renowned architects Louis Kahn, Robert Venturi, and Romaldo Giurgola, each having designed a significant home in Chestnut Hill.
The Visionaries Roundtable will kick off with remarks by Oscar-nominated director Nathaniel Kahn, son of Louis Kahn. It will then feature a keynote talk by Witold Rybczynski, Emeritus Professor of Urbanism at the University of Pennsylvania, architect, architecture critic, and noted author on architecture and the home.
Gail Harrity, President and Chief Operating Officer of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, will moderate the roundtable discussion and invite the audience to engage:
- David De Long, Professor Emeritus of Architecture at the University of Pennsylvania and an architect who studied with Louis Kahn.
- Bryan Hanes, noted landscape architect and urban planner working on the designs of The Rail Park in Philadelphia.
- Inga Saffron, Pulitzer Prize-winning architecture critic for the Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Richard Snowden, managing partner of Bowman Properties, which oversees a portfolio of historic residential and commercial buildings in Chestnut Hill.
A "Meet the Speakers" fondue and wine reception will begin the evening at 6:00 PM in the Sands Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership on the Cherokee Campus of Springside Chestnut Hill Academy. The main event will begin at 6:30 PM in the Upper School Auditorium.
$10 for the general public
$5 for students
SOLD OUT- $40 for the "Meet the Speakers" fondue and wine reception (6:00 PM) along with the main event (6:30 PM)
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Chestnut Hill Conservancy 50th Anniversary Presenting Sponsor: THE NOTTINGHAM-GOODMAN GROUP OF MERRILL LYNCH. Chestnut Hill Conservancy 50th Anniversary Sponsors: OLD VILLAGE MASTER PAINTERS, JOHNSON KENDALL & JOHNSON, AND PURE INSURANCE. Visionaries Roundtable Program Sponsors: KRIEGER + ASSOCIATES ARCHITECTS, KURTZ CONSTRUCTION COMPANY, and DENNIS F. MEYER INC.
Springside Chestnut Hill Academy, Cherokee Campus (View)
8000 Cherokee Street
Philadelphia, PA 19118
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|