LUNCHEON SPEAKER SERIES
Speaker: Peter Ensign, LEED AP BD+C GRP, DC Greenworks
Over the last several years, DC Greenworks has become a leading advocate of green infrastructure practices in the District of Columbia and the region. Through education, training and consulting, DC Greenworks has led the active development and installation of green roofs, rain gardens and urban agriculture.
In this program, we will discuss:
- DC Greenworks' mission, vision, history and achievements.
- Introduction to Green Infrastructure stormwater management best practices, as compared to "grey infrastructure" technologies.
- Challenges facing the DC Metro Area caused by stormwater runoff, including the degradation of our waterways creeks, rivers and the Chesapeake Bay.
- Policy initiatives underway in DC Metro Area, and Maryland and Montgomery County, to address these challenges.
- New initiativeshow DC Greenworks is adapting to the needs of this emerging Green Infrastructure industry as it grows rapidly and gains momentum.
In the four years since Peter Ensign became Executive Director, DC Greenworks has emerged as the preeminent green roof installer and advocate for green infrastructure practices in the Washington, DC, metro region. In this time green roof installations have grown from 40,000 square feet to over 140,000 square feet on 70 rooftops. In addition, he has overseen the installation of 3,200 rain-barrels, the construction of several rain and native habitat gardens, and the largest rooftop farm in the District of Columbia. These activities have raised ecological awareness and reduced stormwater runoff by 3 million gallons per year.
Ensign has served as a speaker and panelist on stormwater and green job training issues at conferences held by the US Environmental Protection Agency, Green Roofs for Healthy Cities, Bethesda Green, and the Smithsonian Institution.
BETHESDA GREEN BUSINESS INCUBATOR
4825 Cordell Avenue, Suite 200, Bethesda, MD 20814
Lunch is provided.
Bethesda Green (View)
4825 Cordell Ave. Suite 200
Bethesda, MD 20814