Slow Food Russian River: Fabulous Fungi. Gorgeous Garlic. Perfect Pinot. Two Tours And A Tasting
Slow Food Russian River is happy to invite Slow Food members to this exciting tour of a prominent grower of culinary and nutraceutical mushrooms and fungi mycelium, Gourmet Mushrooms, Inc. in Graton, CA., followed by a tour of renowned Porter Creek Vineyards, with a presentation by legendary garlic grower, Chester Aaron, and a mushroom, garlic, and wine tasting.
Gourmet Mushrooms Inc. was the first commercial grower of shiitake mushrooms in the Western Hemisphere. Now fresh shiitake are commonplace, and the company has moved on to develop new varieties - such as Buna-Shimeji, Trumpet Royale, Nameko and Hen-of-the-Woods - and remains on the cutting edge of mushroom cultivation.
Porter Creek Vineyards focuses on producing handcrafted organic, hillside-grown, vineyard designated wines of grape varietals from the Burgundy and Rhone regions. Meet Alex Davis, winemaker for Porter Creek's estate vineyards, who will talk about farming with Aurora certified organic practices in transition to Demeter (biodynamic) certification. Porter Creek's wines are a unique, intriguing expression of the true Russian River Valley terroir.
Chester Aaron, a prolific author of novels, stories, and memoirs, was born in 1923 in a Pennsylvania coal-mine town, saw combat in World War II, and was with the troops that liberated Dachau. Following publication of his first novel in 1967, he was an x-ray technician at Alta Bates Hospital in Berkeley, CA. He joined the faculty at Saint Mary's College, retiring as a full professor in 1997. Over the last twenty-five years, he has become known worldwide for the ninety varieties of exotic garlic he grows on his farm in Sonoma County.
The Event Highlights:
- Tour of Gourmet Mushrooms Inc. by Bob Engel.
- Introduction to Porter Creek Vineyards vineyard and farming techniques by Alex Davis at location.
- Presentations by a team member of GMI, by a representative of the mushrooming scene, and by world-renowned garlic grower, Chester Aaron.
- Opportunity to buy Mr. Aaron's latest book, The Marriage of Mushrooms and Garlic, coauthored with Malcolm Clark (one of the founders of Gourmet Mushrooms) and Roger Adams (Photographer).
- Comparing taste and texture differences between grilled and sautéed mushrooms.
- Appetizers from chef Rick Ferrari include: Endive boats with 3 mushrooms; Roasted Shiitake with Shiitake mousse; Filo cups with Alba and Brown Clamshell Duxelles and caramelized Pear, and Vol-au-Vent with Maitake salpicon.
- Wine pairing: 2012 Porter Creek Vineyards Russian River Valley Chardonnay and the 2011 Porter Creek Vineyards Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
This tour is exclusive to Slow Food members. To become a member, google "Slow Food USA" and go to the national website. Click on "Donate" to become a member, fill in your details and close the deal.
Then inform us that you became a member so we can accelerate your inclusion in our conviviality.
Gourmet Mushrooms Inc
2901 Gravenstein Highway
Sebastopol, CA 95472
|Minimum Age: 21|
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: No|