|Saturday Oct 27, 2012 9:30 PM - Saturday Oct 31, 2015 9:00 PM | $20.00 - $30.00
Gemini & Scorpio
cordially request your presence at
Seventh Annual Masquerade Macabre
Halloween Saturday, Oct 31, 9pm-4am, $20* Tier 1 SOLD OUT / $25* Tier 2 SOLD OUT / $30* Tier 3 & door / $15 after 1am, 21+ (25+ recommended)
Livestream Public (former 3rd Ward), 195 Morgan Ave, Bushwick, BK
Official site & details: http://www.geminiandscorpio.com/events.html
Tickets now on sale: http://masqmacabre.brownpapertickets.com
Social media: @gemini_scorpio / #geminiandscorpio #MasqMacabre
A marvellous and mysterious event...a Halloween celebration of the extravagant and the grotesque...an all-night spectacle of atmosphere, costumery and diverse entertainments...an explosion of live music, dancing, circus arts and late-night revelry, snake-charmed into an absinthe-fueled early-morning speakeasy.
- The inimitable experimental composer Sxip Shirey, creating undefinable music on unbelievable instruments.
- Funkrust Brass Band, mixing punk, disco, EDM, metal, funk, Balkan brass and New Orleans second line with snazzy uniforms, choreography, megaphone vocals, and all-original music.
- Philadelphia's The Late Saints keeping you dancing to kazoo-driven Italian gypsy rock.
- Bloody burlesque by Anja Keister and Kita St Cyr.
- Demonic dance floor by DJs Joro Boro & Reaganomics.
- Dark visuals by VJ Fuzzy Bastard.
- Sea shanties in the creepy alley by Skull Buggery.
- Dreamy experimental punch-drunk jazz by Petits Machins in the late-night absinthe lounge (opens 11pm).
- Frighteningly accurate fortunes told by Ala'Sonye.
- Hybrid ballerina creature by Diane Abela.
- Get caught in the Jorogumo Spider-Demon Web Lounge by Jaclyn Atkinson.
- Exchange mythical tokens at the Diabolic Trading Post with Lauren Taylor.
- Experiment in Mercury John's Laboratory of Deadly Arts.
- Roast marshmallows with the dulcet tones of Stefan Zeniuk's Flame-o-phone.
- Absinthe and other mind-altering potions by The House of St Eve (yes, t.h.o.s.e. cocktails)
Macabre carnival, aberrations of nature, cabinet of curiosities, dark Victoriana, evil funhouse, steampunk, Jan Svankmaier & Brothers Quay films, Freaks, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Think dark & creepy. Or dark & funny. Or whatever your Halloween costume happens to be. But if we have to ask, it's not a costume.
"Live music, dancing, absinthe and the dark arts" - The New York Times. "Late-night absinthe-fueled revelry, with dancing, circus arts, and a Victorian-inspired dress code." - The Village Voice. "Expect off-the-wall antics" - Huffington Post. "Denizens of the night...down absinthe until the sun rises." - TimeOut New York. "Absinthe-fueled debauchery." - Paper. "Vintage-inspired spectacle." - New York Press. "This quintessential New York experience, a costume-required masquerade ball, offers a cornucopia of pleasures guaranteed to keep you going all night (and morning) long." - Flavorpill. "Collection of artists who revel in all things exotic, sensual and creative." - Examiner
Some years ago, there was a surreal arts wonderland called 3rd Ward, a warren of studios and open spaces where everything from printmaking to laser cutting was explored. Also, there were parties. Legendary parties, with thousands in the street, and the building filled with music, spectacle, fire, and pure lawless magic. Halloween will mark our (and many of our collaborators from those years) first return to 195 Morgan with this kind of public event in two years. It may not ever happen again.
*All ticket tiers offer the same access to the event. An additional $30 gets you a commemorative Masquerade Macabre hip flask engraved with the monster hybrid Victorian couple from the event flyer. The engraving is vintage-style blind etching, not the modern black laser. We like it classy. Flask pic: http://bit.ly/GS_flask
These events offer an amazing opportunity for capturing some of the most creative, colorful party goers in NYC. We allow cameras at nearly all events, but please ask if you want someone's portrait. If you're a professional photographer, get in touch -- we always offer free entry to photo & video professionals who send us their work after.
Livestream Public (View)
195 Morgan Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11237
|Minimum Age: 21|
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: No|