Help us honor and celebrate Margaret Sayles Harner, a tireless child advocate who has retired after more than 20 years of service to the Student Advocacy Center. The event is 6:30-8:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 11 at the Ladies Literary Club in Ypsilanti and will establish the Margaret Sayles Harner Advocacy Fund to help carry on Margaret's work with children. Highlights include:|
* A dessert bar featuring goodies from Zingerman's, Bona Sera Cafe, Frita Batidos, Jefferson Market & Cakery, Just Baked, Mindo Chocolate Makers, the Ypsilanti Co-Op, Paesano, the Produce Station and more.
* Live music by Steve Somers, who has been playing guitar for more than 40 years. He has studied jazz guitar with George Barnes and Dave Creamer and classical guitar/composition with Nelson Amos.
* Silent auction featuring in-studio time at NPR, a Motawi Tileworks grapevine tile, a cake class with Domestic Arts Custom Cakes, an overnight stay at the Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest, a cheese tray from Morgan & York, truffles from Sweet Gem Confections, an original painting by David Palmquist, gift cards from local businesses such as Sidetrack's, Beezy's and Arbor Brewing, and much more.
*** The number of tickets available are limited. ***
The Student Advocacy Center of Michigan empowers students to thrive in school and realize their right to a quality public education through individual and systems advocacy and education support. We have been a voice for every student since 1975.
In the 2011-2012 school year, we served 400 households, including 226 from Washtenaw County and 26 in Jackson County. We served 65 students in foster care through Washtenaw County.
Our services include:
* Individual case advocacy for students in Washtenaw County, where we work in partnership with families, schools and students to tackle challenges related to school discipline, special education and academic needs.
* Educational advocacy and support for Washtenaw County students in the foster care system.
* Educational technical assistance throughout the state for families struggling with expulsions, suspensions, special education services and other educational needs.
* Solution-focused support for at-risk families in Jackson County that assists in education, housing and other life goals and promotes family stability.
* Systems-level advocacy to challenge policies that negatively impact a child's right to a quality public education.
Special thanks to AnnArbor.com and Bank of Ann Arbor for sponsoring the Bash.
Ladies' Literary Club (View)
218 North Washington Street
Ypsilanti, MI, MI 48197
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|