Brewery Ommegang Hop Chef Competition
Join us at the Atlas for the first Brewery Ommegang Hop Chef Competition. Local chefs will be preparing and pairing dishes with Ommegang beers based off of 5 different pairing principles.
1. Simple pairing The direct interaction between food and beer - from taking a bite of the food and a sip of the beer.
2. Incorporation This is the utilization of beer in the cooking process. Using it as a marinade or in a brine, adding it to a sauce or using it as a braising liquid are some of the ways incorporation pairing works.
3. Mimicking One of the most difficult pairings, mimic pairings are the act of matching the flavor profile of a dish with the flavor profile of a beer. It is difficult because not only do you have to understand the flavor profiles of the individual ingredients of the dish, but also the beer such as the type of hops, malt and yeast being used.
4. Story Telling Beer, like food, has a great history behind it. Not just how it was made, but why.
5. Experimental This type of pairing is the most fun by far. It is finding a way to make the beer the main star of a dish, often by being the primary ingredient.
Competing chefs include
Nicholas Stefanelli of Bibiana
Will Artley of Pizzeria Orso
Mike Bonk of Sonoma
Jamie Leeds of Hank's Oyster Bar
Jeff Eng of Clyde's of Tower Oaks
Bradley Walker of Boundary Road
Mark Marracco of Magnolias at the Mill
Who will win the bragging rights? And the chance to compete for the Hop Chef crown at our yearly Belgium Comes to Cooperstown festival at the brewery? Join us and see. And taste. And drink.
The Atlas Theater (View)
1333 H Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002
|Minimum Age: 21|
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|