Music Improv Workshop with Rick & Laura Hall
Have you ever wondered how they make up songs on improv shows like Whose Line is it Anyway?
Laura Hall (Musical Director, Whose Line Is It Anyway?, The Second City Chicago) and Rick Hall (Actor, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Second City Chicago) teach music improv workshops that will show you how its done.
Rick & Laura have taught music improv all over the world, at comedy clubs, theaters, high schools and universities. Youll work with two experienced improvisers and get two different perspectives; from both a musician and an actor.
Even if you've never done song improv before, theyll introduce you to the basic concepts. And if you're already experienced with song improv, they'll stretch your skills and bring you to the next level.
Rick & Laura create a lively, supportive environment where you can grow, explore and move out of your comfort zone, starting with warm-ups and games to help ease into singing. You'll build vocal confidence and learn to listen to each other and the accompaniment. Youll look at musical form and structure, rhyming, harmony singing and more. All in a positive setting where you can explore, stretch out, and most importantly, have fun.
Music Improv Workshop Curriculum
1. Warming up and why its important, the care and use of your voice
2. Building vocal confidence: exploring melody, rhythm, discovering your natural voice, ways to help if youre not a confident singer.
3. Finding your own way of approaching a musical accompaniment, and your own take on the subject matter.
4. Music improv as a natural extension of scenic work: using character, location, story and emotion to create rich and interesting songs
5. Group singing: Listening, watching, taking turns, coming to a chorus, harmonies.
6. Rhyming exercises and short form games like Irish Drinking Song, Hoe Down.
7. Musical structure and why its important
8. How to communicate effectively with a musical director.
Here's what past students have to say:
What a great teaching team. Within the first two hours we learned how to advance scenes with song; we built confidence and had funlots of it.
Gerry Orton, Director, Monterey Improv
I was blown away by how supportive and encouraging you both were. You've made me feel better about myself as an improvisor as a whole, not just musical improv.
- Heather D, Toronto, ON, Canada
The workshop was fantastic. Rick and Laura make one helluva team.
-Michael Descoteaux, Artistic Director, Improv Boston
I had a great time and learned a bunch at the same time. You and Rick quickly put the class at ease and whamm-o we were singing like champs! - Andy R, Aurora, IL
Two of the most warm-hearted and encouraging teachers I have studied with. Rick and Laura are so supportive, and their wealth of experience seamlessly lifted the whole ensemble to appear as if we had done this for years!
- Kevin G, Oslo, Norway
Native Sons Hall (View)
239 High St
Santa Cruz, CA 95060