The Birmingham-Jefferson Food Policy Council is hosting Food Summit 2013, an event to be held at the Birmingham CrossPlex on Friday, September 27, 2013. |
Food Summit 2013 will embrace all aspects of Birmingham's food system and culture, to coincide with Birmingham's Commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the City's Civil Rights Movement. Educational sessions will center around the tenants of our founding charter: social justice, hunger, health, agriculture, culture, and economic opportunity.
- Lori Silverbush, co-director and producer of "A Place at the Table" a nationally-recognized movie documentary about food insecurity
- Barry Estabrook, James Beard award-winning journalist and author of "Tomatoland: How Modern Industrial Agriculture Destroyed Our Most Alluring Fruit"
Also, the Jefferson County Place Matters team, in partnership with The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, will release a community health equity report for Jefferson County. The report will provide a comprehensive analysis of the range of social, economic, and environmental conditions in Jefferson County, and document their relationship to the health status of the county's residents.
Food Summit 2013 will be attended by:
- Leaders in the local and national food system
- Government officials
- Businesses and individuals striving to be responsible corporate citizens
- Organizations working to change the food system for good and enhance the local community.
We expect over 300 attendees to join us at the CrossPlex.
Birmingham CrossPlex (View)
2331 Bessemer Rd
Birmingham, AL 35208
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|