THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD YOUR NAME TO THE WAITING LIST, COPY AND PASTE THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS INTO YOUR BROWSER.|
Happiness that is not shaken by conditions begins with imagining that such stable and open happiness exists, and could exist for us. We also need wisdom in order to know how to make such happiness real. This implies patience, perspective, and an ability to see things as they are. During this evening we will explore our notions of happiness, strength, aloneness and possibility. We'll practice meditation along with dialogue and discourse. Suitable for both beginning and more experienced meditators.
Donations for This Event
Common Ground Meditation Center has adopted the practice of "Dana" as both a spiritual practice for the community and a practical way to meet the financial needs of the organization. All of the programs at Common Ground are offered freely in the spirit of dana or generosity. As a spiritual practice, we are invited to explore the effects of giving and receiving freely, reflecting on the joy of receiving the teachings as well as the joy of supporting the Center. This way of supporting each other is meant to be a source of joy and connections. This is a creative process and we expect that our understanding of generosity will deepen as we continue to practice and talk together.
When guest teachers such as Sharon offer programs at Common Ground, the center offers 60% of donations received directly back to the teacher. Common Ground uses the remaining 40% of donations to cover the center's operating expenses (including Sharon's travel expenses). If you would like to leave a donation to support Sharon Salzberg and help make it possible for her to continue this ancient tradition of offering the dharma in this way, there are a couple ways to do that:
1) If you have a paypal account, you can make an online donation by going to http://givemn.razoo.com/story/Common-Ground-Meditation-Center
2) You can donate on the day of the event with cash or credit card.
Sharon will also be presenting a weekend workshop on Loving-Kindness, October 5 - 6. Tickets can be purchased at http://lovingkindness.brownpapertickets.com.
About Sharon Salzberg
Sharon Salzberg has been a student of meditation since 1971, and leading meditation retreats worldwide since 1974. She teaches both intensive awareness practice (vipassana or insight meditation) and the profound cultivation of lovingkindness and compassion (the Brahma Viharas).
Sharon's latest book is the New York Times Best Seller, Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation: A 28-Day Program, published by Workman Publishing (2011). She is regular contributor to The Huffington Post and is also the author of several other books including The Kindness Handbook (2008); The Force of Kindness (2005); Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience (2002); Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness (1995); and A Heart as Wide as the World (1997).
Sharon Salzberg is cofounder of the Insight Meditation Society (IMS) in Barre, Massachusetts. She has played a crucial role in bringing Asian meditation practices to the West. The ancient Buddhist practices of vipassana (mindfulness) and metta (lovingkindness) are the foundations of her work. "Each of us has a genuine capacity for love, forgiveness, wisdom and compassion. Meditation awakens these qualities so that we can discover for ourselves the unique happiness that is our birthright." For more information about Sharon, please visit: www.SharonSalzberg.com.
About Common Ground
Common Ground is a community meditation center dedicated to the practice of mindfulness. Mindfulness meditation is the practice of waking up to the present moment and learning to be open and at ease with the unfolding conditions of life. With practice, mindfulness reveals deep wisdom, compassion and intimacy with all things.
Common Ground is an independent center founded on the teachings of the Buddha. This center follows in the spirit of the Insight Meditation Society (IMS) in Barre, Massachusetts and Spirit Rock Meditation Center in Northern California and is part of the greater Insight Meditation or Vipassana community in the West. We welcome skillful means from all Buddhist traditions as well as other spiritual traditions dedicated to wisdom and compassion.
Common Ground supports the local mindfulness meditation community and provides ongoing programs in vipassana or insight meditation in the Buddhist tradition. Mark Nunberg currently works full-time at the center as the director and guiding teacher. Although Common Ground is an independent center, it works closely with the Twin Cities Vipassana Cooperative and other national insight meditation organizations.
Mayo Auditorium, UMN Campus (View)
435 Delaware Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55455
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|