Historic Durham & Tobacco Empire Tour
A bit more than a half century younger than Raleigh, Durham, grew around a railroad station established in rural Orange County. In 1849 Dr. Bartlett Durham gave less than four acres to the North Carolina railroad, Durham's station was built and named in his honor. The first post office opened in 1853, but the town was not incorporated until 1869. The new town wanting a stronger voice petitioned the legislature to create Durham County from portions of Orange and Wake Counties.
The first Tobacco factories opened in 1858. Growth was slow until after the Civil War when local industrialists opened their own factories and Durham's main industry began to draw worldwide attention. Textile plants were opened to make the cloth bags for tobacco. It was also during this period that Washington Duke and Julian S. Carr donated money and land to Trinity College on the condition that it relocate from Randolph County; and it did so in 1892.
There is something for everyone on this revealing fun filled, fact finding tour. Gather a group of friends, family or co-workers for this 2.5 hour comprehensive tour.
Durham Visitors Center (View)
101 East Morgan Street
Durham, NC 27701
|Minimum Age: 8|
|Kid Friendly: Yes!|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: No|