9/11 Memorial and World Trade Center Walking Tour
Tour Summary: A compelling, informative and wide-ranging tour about the events of 9/11 and the history and rebuilding of the World Trade Center site.
Memorial Access Included: Access to the 9/11 Memorial is included as part of this tour.
Tour leader Doug Fox brings an extensive collection of photos, illustrations and maps that highlight the events of 9/11, the 9/11 Memorial, the history of the World Trade Center and many other developments related to the tour's contents.
Tour start location: Northwest Corner of Broadway and Vesey Street (by Staples Office Supply Store).
Sites we will visit and topics we will discuss:
- The September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks that toppled the iconic Twin Towers and killed almost 3,000 civilians and first responders.
- The 9/11 Memorial, Reflecting Absence, by architect Michael Arad and landscape architect Peter Walker.
- Architect Daniel Libeskind's Memory Foundations entry that won the master plan competition for the redesign of the World Trade Center site.
- St. Paul's Chapel, built in 1766 and located just one block from the Twin Towers, survived the 9/11 attack with barely a scratch, and served as an important place of rest and recovery for construction workers, firefighters, police officers and others working on recovery efforts at Ground Zero.
- FDNY (Fire Department, City of New York) Memorial Wall at Ten House that pays tribute to the 343 firefighters who fell on 9/11.
- Police Memorial Wall in Battery Park City designed by Stuart Crawford. In a ceremony in October 2012, officers were honored who died in 2011 as a result of ailments relating to the rescue and recovery in the aftermath of 9/11.
- The American Express Eleven Tears Memorial by Ken Smith.
- The design, engineering and safety features of 1 World Trade Center, now the tallest building in New York City.
- The upcoming 9/11 Museum that houses important 9/11 artifacts including the Steel Tridents, the Last Column, the Survivor's Staircase and the 9/11 Cross.
- The Santiago Calatrava Transportation Hub with its soaring 150-foot-high ribbed white wings.
- The 9/11 boatlift operation that brought tens of thousands of people off the island of Manhattan to safety.
- David Rockefeller, the Port Authority and the history of the original World Trade Center.
- Architect Minoru Yamasaki designs the Twin Towers for the Port Authority.
- The many engineering innovations of the original Twin Towers including the slurry wall, tube frame construction, kangaroo cranesand sky lobbies. Plus, why the Towers collapsed on 9/11.
- Restoration and rebuilding around the perimeter of Ground Zero: Cass Gilbert's 90 West Street, the World Financial Center and Winter Garden, the Barclay-Vesey Building, Zuccotti Park, and St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church.
If you have questions about the above tour description, please email Doug Fox.
Northwest Corner of Broadway and Vesey Street (by Staples Office Supply Store). (View)
Broadway and Vesey Street
New York, NY 10007
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: No|