Makes-Me-Wanna SHOUT! Coconut Cake Contest Semifinals to benefit Miriam's Kitche
The Makes-Me-Wanna SHOUT! Coconut Cake Challenge contest tasting Semifinals will be hosted at Miriam's Kitchen Saturday, March 19 from 2-4 PM at Miriam's Kitchen. The contest is presented by Eatonville Restaurant and Church Lady Cake Diaries to benefit Miriam's Kitchen that provides meals and case management services to over 3,000 homeless men and women in the District each year.
The contest semifinals will feature a variety of original coconut cakes selected from a pool of contest applications. The public is invited to join the judges in selecting the top five coconut cakes for the Final 5 at Eatonville Restaurant (April 27) and give an amateur baker from the DMV area a chance to win a $500 first prize and the winning cake featured on Eatonville Restaurant's menu.
Official judges for the event include Joan Nathan, a James Beard Award winner, author of 10 cookbooks and host of the PBS television series "Jewish Cooking in America with Joan Nathan"; Brenda Rhodes Miller, author of two books, including "The Church Ladies' Divine Desserts"; Andy Shallal, owner of Eatonville Restaurant; and Scott Schenkelberg, Executive Director of Miriam's Kitchen.
Coconut Cake Semifinalists:
- Auntie's Coconut Paradise Cake
- Chocolate Coconut Macaroon Cake
- Coconut Cake made with Cardamom, Cream Cheese Frosting
- Coconut Cake with Coconut Dream Frosting
- Coconut Cake with Coconut Filling; Cream Cheese Frosting
- Coconut Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Coconut Cake with Key Lime Mousse Filling; White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Coconut Cake with Lemon Curd, White Chocolate Frosting
- Coconut Cake with Lemon Filling; Cream Cheese Frosting
- Coconut Oatmeal Cookie Cake; Brown Sugar Frosting with Nuts
- Coconut Cake with Pineapple, Bananas, Toasted Coconut and Sugared Pecans
- Coconut Cake with Shredded Coconut; Cream Cheese Frosting
- "Samoa Cookie" Inspired Coconut Cake
- Toasted Coconut Tuxedo Torte
Complimentary savory distractions included.
2401 Virginia Avenue, NW (basement of Western Presbyterian Church)
Washington, DC 20037
|Minimum Age: 18|
|Kid Friendly: Yes!|
|Dog Friendly: No|