|Thursday May 15, 2014 10:00 AM - Thursday Dec 18, 2014 10:00 AM | $10.00
Independence - ReFOCIS - Re-Focus on Children in Separation
Re-FOCIS is a parent awareness program for parents involved in a post-dissolution and/or modification proceeding that involves contested issues of child custody and/or visitation for children 17 and under.
If a post-dissolution and/or modification involves only child support issues please check with an attorney to see if this class will be appropriate.
This course is designed to reemphasize the value of cooperative parenting, to help parents understand the mediation process, and to provide strategies for communicating effectively.
ACCESS TO SERVICE:
Court ordered; pre-enrollment required. Upon filing a modification action parties receive an order of attendance. The cost is $10.00. Upon completion Family Court Resource Services forwards an attendance certificate to civil records.
Frequently Asked Questions for Parent Awareness Courses
1. I didn't register online in time, can I pay at the door and show up to class and register then?
Answer: NO. FCRS will not accept any money or register any participants at the door. All participants must
pre-register at least 48 hours in advance. If you have not pre-registered, you will be directed to do so online for a later class. If you are unable to register or pay online, please call (816) 881-1814 for assistance.
2. I do not have a credit/debit card to register online. What can I do?
Answer: You may purchase a debit card with cash at several local outlets. If you don't have a credit/debit card and/or are unable to obtain one, please contact our office to discuss alternative options.
3. I tried to register online but my registration doesn't seem to be going through. What should I do?
Answer: Most participants are not able to register online with an iphone. If this is the method you used to register, try using a desktop computer.
4. My case only involves child support, do I still have to attend this class?
Answer: If you have received an order from the court to attend you must comply with the court's order. However, if your case involves child support only, consult with your attorney as this course is intended for parents whose case involves contested issues of child custody and/or visitation.
5. The filing fees have been waived in my case as the court has determined that I am indigent. Are my fees for ReFOCIS waived also?
Answer: Contact FCRS at (816) 881-1814 to get more information about your eligibility for a fee waiver.
6. There are no classes available before my court date. What options do I have?
Answer: Classes are offered twice monthly and parties are given 45 days after service of process to attend classes so there shouldn't be any difficulties in getting into classes if registration is completed soon after service. If you are unable to register in time you should discuss the matter with your attorney or contact FCRS at
7. I registered for a class but an emergency came up and I was unable to attend. Can I get a refund?
Answer: NO. All sales are final. However, if you paid for a class you are unable to attend you may contact FCRS to arrange for another class at a future date.
8. I have a language barrier and need an interpreter for the class. How do I arrange this?
Answer: Contact FCRS at (816) 881-1814 to arrange interpreter services for your particular class.
9. I have remarried and my spouse would like to attend class with me. Does she have to pay registration even though she is not a party to the case?
Answer: NO. FCRS recognizes the value of step parenting and believes that this course would be beneficial to them even though they may not be actively involved in the court case. If this is your situation, please contact FCRS at (816) 881-1814 for more information.
10. I do not feel comfortable attending this class with my ex spouse. Is there any way to register for a class that he is not attending?
Answer: We cannot guarantee that this will not happen but if you have a concern, please contact our office at
816-881-1814 so that we can actively attempt to separate classes.
Jackson County Family Court - Resource Services (View)
Roger T. Sermon Center, 201 N. Dodgion Avenue (corner of Noland and Truman Roads
Independence, MO 64050
|Kid Friendly: Yes!|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|